Chapter 2

Leah

Walking into the room I realised that there was no point in going back to bed. I just knew that I won't be able to go back to sleep, not when I had to get up within a few minutes anyway.

It felt like a routine that was unknowingly been set. Ethan playing loud music at 6 every morning, me waking up startled, trying to get back to sleep but to no avail. Believe me, I tried every possible method that is out there, but I never fell back asleep. I even tried to read history.

Every method was just a vain.

So instead I decided to start getting ready for the school. Senior year was starting today. One more year and I will be done with highschool. For-freaking-ever.

Sighing, I rubbed both my eyes to get rid of the sleep and started walking towards my bathroom.

As if the day can't get any better, I stubbed my toe at the footing of my bed.

And it hurts more than swallowing a chicken bone.  Yes, I had swallowed a bone when I was seven.

After a few minutes of cradling my toe, I hobbled myself to the bathroom. Stripping down and turning on the shower, I stepped under the warm water and felt myself relaxing.

I let my thoughts wander as I started rinsing myself. My thoughts wandered off to three years ago when I first met the family that had shifted into our neighbouring house.

Ethan and I shared this on-again, off-again friendship if that makes any sense. I mean, yeah we were friends but it was as if one minute we're enjoying each other's company and another minute we want to rip the other's head off.

And don't even get me started on the pranks that we've pulled on each other. Let's just say that scratching the itches or taking the worms off your sweater is so not fun.

The day we met three years ago was still as clear as if it happened just the day before.

---flashback to 3 years ago---

I was sleeping in my bed in order to get as much sleep possible before the freshman year started. That's when I heard it. A piece of music being played obnoxiously loud.

I remembered someone moving into the house next door late last night, but didn't know that the person would be so rude to wake up the entire neighbourhood with that racket. After an entire hour of tossing and turning and my ears bearing the torture of really loud music, I was able to fall asleep when the music finally ceased.

Later that day when I woke up it was already noon. Showering and putting on a sundress, I walked downstairs to eat my lunch and then head out to spend the Sunday at the beach carnival.

Walking into the kitchen to drink some water, I heard a few unfamiliar voices which were coming towards the kitchen. The sight of 5 unfamiliar faces along with two familiar faces of my parents greeted me at the entrance of the kitchen.

"There you are, honey. I want you to meet the Adams family." Mom spoke to me trying her best to hide her disappointment towards my habit of waking up late.

Well, mom, it's not my fault that I've inherited your genetics.

"It's nice to meet you, young lady." Mr. Adams greeted me with a firm handshake and a pat on my head whereas Mrs. Adams gave me a warm hug while saying, "what a beautiful girl you're." I smiled at the pair and turned my attention to two little kids who were around the age of seven.

"Hi there." I crouched down in front of them and greeted them. The two of them gave me toothy grins and replied with a small "hello," both at the same time. Twin telepathy.

"That's Ivory and Ivan. And that's our older son Ethan." Mrs. Adams introduced her kids. I turned to Ethan to greet him as well but he just gave me a curt nod and that was all.

Rude.

"He'll be going to your school," Dad said just as mom announced that they will be staying with us for lunch.

I didn't know what to be more baffled about.

When lunch was served, everyone at the table started conversing. Everyone, except Ethan and I. To say that the lunch was awkward for me would be an understatement.

Lunch rolled off and Mrs. Adams helped mom to put away the leftovers while chatting with her as if they were long-lost best friends. Seriously, these women do it with every other woman they meet.

I served desserts for everyone which were cinnamon rolls, the vanilla icing dripping off them. And let's just say that I was trying really hard not to drool at the sight of my favorite dessert.

Everyone took their plates to the living room and I had this urgent need to empty my bladder. Honestly, my bladder always had the wrong timing.

When I came back into the kitchen, I picked up my plate from the table and popped open a can of cola, and started walking towards the living room and I was so busy mentally devouring the cinnamon rolls that I went straight crashing into someone and fell on my butt, my hair drenching with the cola and my cinnamon rolls scattered on the floor. That was the last serving left.

My gasp mixed with a loud boom of laughter was heard. I glanced up at the person who bumped into me and narrowed my eyes at the blue-eyed boy.

Red was all I was seeing. "Do you know what you've done?" I started lowly. "You destroyed my cinnamon rolls, you motherfucker. And that was the last portion. Do you-" My growling was cut by the multiple gasps of our spectators.

"Leah Scott, that's not the way you talk to the guests." Mom shook her head at me, a clear grimace on her face. "You are grounded until your school starts," she added. No doubt mom heard me as I cursed him. I didn't dare to explain. Not when I knew mom was really pissed.

Everyone walked out of the room whereas Ethan stayed back to mock me. "Koala bear, you're in trouble," referring to the cola incident. I didn't get his logic behind the nickname neither was I in the mood to argue with him. Instead, I did the only thing that came to my mind. I stomped on his foot and left.

And Ladies and Gentlemen, that's how you embarrass yourself, drench yourself with cola, not get to eat your favorite dessert, get grounded by your mom, and earn yourself a weird-ass nickname, all within a matter of 5 minutes.

******

This chapter is longer than the last one, so I think that's an improvement :p

Don't forget to vote and comment.

Until next time.