Chapter 17

Leah

When I came down from my temporary room to grab some breakfast, there was no one around the dining area or the living room. My nostrils filled with a delicious aroma of scrambled eggs as I stood at the bottom of the stairs. Strutting my way into the kitchen, I saw Ethan cooking some eggs on the stove.

"Morning," I said as I walked around him towards the fridge to get something to drink. A morning can never be good.

A simple glance at me was all I got as the greeting.

I sighed and sat my glass of orange juice on the dining table. A plate of warm eggs and toast was placed in front of me by Mr. Avoiding Adams as he went upstairs and I started eating, washing it all down with the glass of orange juice.

Ethan came down with his backpack slung over his shoulders with a sleepy Savannah on tow. She smiled at me and greeted with a "good morning."

"Where do you think you're going?" Savannah grabbed Ethan's arm and pulled him back. She sure was strong. I mean Ethan was 6'4, well-muscled boy. Even though Savannah was tall, she was still tiny when compared to her son.

"To school." He frowned at his mom as he replied in a duh tone.

"Won't you take Leah with you?" Savannah asked her son as he glanced at me and nodded his head.

"Savannah it's fine. I'll catch the bus. It will be better for someone to avoid people further." I spoke and crossed my arms across my chest as I glared at Ethan.

"I am not avoiding anyone." He fired back with his own glare.

"Yeah, sure. And my parents downloaded me from google." I honestly don't know where the hell that came from.

Maybe I was hallucinating but I think I saw a faintest of a smile tugging at the corners of his lips but it vanished as soon as it appeared.

Ethan shook his head and walked out of the door and Savannah turned her attention to me.

"He'll come around." She touched my cheek and smiled at me just when a honk was heard. I sighed and said goodbye to her.

The consistent honking stopped when I slammed the passenger side door shut after I got in Ethan's car. If anything, it annoys him when someone is being violent with his car.

"How long are you going to avoid me?" I asked as we pulled out of his driveway. No answer.

"What's even bothering you?" Again. No answer.

"Did I say something?" I poked his arm. Still, no progress. And frankly, it was getting on my nerves now.

I don't like it when people become silent about their problems. Rant it out. Speak. Communicate what's bugging you. Bottling it all up would do nothing but lead to a harmful explosion. More harmful than your words.

"Ethan" I began as he cut the ignition, "Look, you want to shout, shout. You want to yell, yell. But not this silent treatment." Still nothing.

"You know what, be like that. When you're done with your mood swings, talk to me." I yelled, frustrated with his stubbornness. "And don't bother to drive me after school. I'll catch the bus." I slung my backpack over my shoulder and slammed his car door, just to get on his nerves.

I angrily made my way towards the locker section to exchange my books for my first class. I felt bad for lashing out on him like that but I wasn't used to having this silent Ethan around. Silent Ethan was more annoying than violent Ethan. And that surely says something.

Suddenly I felt like crying. And these pre-menstrual hormones are adding fuel to the fire.

"Look who do we have here." The voice that I hate the most, spoke from behind me.