Chapter 15

Leah

I remember when I was five, we had a mom's friend come over at our place with her daughter, who was barely three years old. Mom and her friend were sitting in the kitchen, chatting and catching up whereas the kid and I were in the living room. And me being the older one was told to look after the little girl and entertain her. So being the good girl and a five-year-old smarty-pants, I decided that it will be the best idea to paint butterflies as I was obsessed with those back then.

Now, painting butterflies with brushes and crayons is a different thing. But painting a three-year-old's butt cheeks and then making her sit on the paper is considered as totally next-level creativity.

Let's say my mom and her friend weren't impressed with the little artist and mom was full-on glaring at me from her seat as I sat innocently on my high chair feeling as if I had stabbed someone's live chicken with my fork. So much for a little five-year-old.

Oh, and I didn't see that lady and her kid ever again after that day.

Right now, I was sitting in my desk chair in my room with my best friend looking at me with those electric blue eyes of her that could make you confess all the crimes that you have committed if she decided on it. I was feeling like that five-year-old artist as Lydia turned into my mom, sitting on my bed, except I didn't paint anyone's bum this time. Actually, I don't think I have done anything at all.

"I swear, I am not hiding anything from you." I started. "I would have told you if there was anything that you needed to know. But right now, I don't think there's anything that I'm keeping from you that you should know." I smiled at her sheepishly, trying to get out of this situation but she just rolled her eyes at me.

"Let me get this straight. Is there anything between you and Jordan?"

"Yeah. We're friends. What ridiculous question you are asking, Lyds?" I looked at her dumbly.

"Is there anything more than friendship?" She sighed as if explaining to an idiot person, which in her defense, I was and I almost fell from my seat at what she was hinting.

But before either of us could say anything I burst out laughing. I didn't know what made me laugh. Maybe it was the comicality or maybe it was the ridiculousness of the situation that made tears streak down my face because of all the laughing.

"I'm serious, Leah." My best friend sighed.

"What you're suggesting is ludicrous, Lydia. And why the hell would you think that? Are you hearing yourself? It's me and Jordan you're talking about. There is absolutely nothing going on between us. There can never be anything romantic between us." I couldn't even wrap my head around this whole prospect.

"I know what I am talking about, Leah. It's just that, I don't know, it looks different whenever you guys are interacting."

"You're just overthinking, Lydia. I promise we are the same goofs from seventh grade."

She bit her lip, a frown settled on her face as if in deep thought. "Maybe you're right." She said after a long pause, but still a bit reluctant. "I hope none of you gets hurt if shit goes down."

"You're worrying too much, Lyds." I went over and hugged my best friend. She worried too much for her own good. What was I going to do without her when we'll go to different colleges?

I swallowed the lump down as I tried to stop the water leakage from my eyes. Why was I getting so emotional?

Guess aunt Scarlet will be giving me a visit soon.

I sighed and pulled back from the hug as Lydia took out her phone from her bag and started scrolling through it.

"One more thing, Leah." She said as a frown took over her features.