Chapter 14

Leah

Finally, it was lunch. After those dreadful hours of listening to the professors speaking non-stop, I was starving.

I could eat a horse now.

Not really though.

"Are you going to stop checking her out and move anytime soon today?" Lydia asked the boy and jerked her thumb in my direction. I turned my attention to him to see that he was actually checking me out.

Bet he loved potatoes.

We were standing in the queue to get our food trays, but this new guy from my biology class had different plans. His eyes widened at Lydia's harsh tone, as wide as an anime character's, might I add. He was shocked by Lydia's outburst. Can't blame him. I was shocked too. Lydia's usually calm and happy soul, her outbursts are a rare sight for me too.

"She's too gorgeous to stop." The boy smirked at me and I can feel the heat rising to my cheeks. The boy in front of me, whose name I don't know, was lean with cropped up black hair and honey-colored eyes. He was cute in his own boyish way.

"Hey dude, if you don't want to have lunch then move aside. Unlike you, we don't have the whole damn day to stand here. And clearly, she isn't interested in you." It was Jordan.

"How'd you know that?" The boy challenged. This boy was surely nuts to test Jordan. I mean, the boy was lean when you compared him with Jordan. Jordan can be pretty intimidating when he wanted to be. But the boy didn't know that. He was new in our grade. And I didn't catch his name because I was busy drawing a cinnamon roll in my book when he was introducing himself.

"Want me to show that to you?" Jordan fired back in a dangerously low voice, as he cracked his knuckles and curled up his fist, ready to knock the cute-boy down.

"Hey. Hey, Jordan, calm down. We don't want to create a scene. Besides he understood now so he'll leave us alone. Won't you?" I asked the boy, scared that Jordan might actually punch him. The boy nodded his head and scurried forward without looking back.

Jordan sighed beside me as Lydia looked at us weirdly. Her gaze was questioning yet there was this hint realization as she looked at the both of us. Uh-oh. This can't be good. I avoided her gaze as I took my tray to our table and sat down with the twins on my each side.

"Well, well, well, Leah, what was that?" Avery nudged me from beside me, twirling her home-made spaghetti around her fork.

"What was what?" I asked, hoping against hope that she too wouldn't bombard me with questions, just like Lydia was doing with her eyes in front of me.

"Oh, you very well know what I am talking about. The guy was so interested in you. You both would look so good together." The feisty one wiggled her eyebrows at me.

"Avery stop it." Was heard followed by a loud bang. The poor table had to endure Jordan's anger who abruptly got up from the table, making his chair fall because of the impact as he stormed out of the cafeteria.

Everyone at our table stopped whatever they were doing and stared at Jordan's retreating figure. I looked at Lydia who was already staring at me weirdly and that had me squirming in my seat.

Questioningly, I raised my eyebrow at her to which she lightly shook her head and mouthed 'later'.

I looked over at Ethan who was frowning at his phone whilst tapping away furiously.

Why are people behaving so strangely?

"Asswaffle." Avery's word, not mine. She continued her eating as if her twin didn't just yell at her and marched out of the cafeteria.