Kabanata 15 - Drifting Soul

Kabanata 15

Drifting soul

This isn't the first time na maranasan ko ang kusang mag-blackout. I often have a mild seizure on my past life kaya sanay na ako. Didn't know that Amaury have the same condition like me.

Joanne was sitting beside my bed when I woke up. She immediately tends to my needs. Well, I just want a glass of water. She told me that a skilled doctor was called by the duke when he got the news. I'm guessing, it was Sir Adam who informed him. At dahil doon sa nangyari sakin, we stayed for about 2 days sa mansion ni Aunt Mildred bago napagpasyahan umuwi sa estate namin. I was riding with my Papa and Mama on the way back. They're worried that I might have an attack again kaya hindi nila ako hinayaan sumakay sa carriage mag-isa. It took us 12 hours sa pagbyahe. For a week, namiss ko ang ambiance ng lugar namin. Going back to this place feels so warm and comforting.

Lumipas ang ilang araw na lagi lamang ako nasa kwarto, dahil sa utos ni Papa na wala akong gagawin kundi ang magpahinga lamang. Sumasakit na nga ang likod ko dahil sa kakaupo at higa araw-araw. That was until Dale's letter arrived stating that The Duke will take me tomorrow to meet the Grand Priest. Though, I was very reluctant to go with him, naisip ko din na ito na ang chance ko para makaalis sa estate namin. Para naman maigalaw ko ng maayos ang buto ko.

The morning came and I was kind of excited for the trip. Kaya naman maaga pa lang ay gising na ako. So, when Joanne and some of my maids went to my room to dressed me up, I am already done. All they did was to fix my hair and put a little colour on my face. Dale was already inside the carriage ng sumakay ako sa loob. Patagal ng patagal ay nagiging bastos tong si Dale ah! Even though I'm in a low social rank, he should still treat me like a Lady! Besides, I am his fiancée! Kahit na business and for political reason pa ang engagement namin I am still his fiancée. He should give me some respect as her soon to be wife.

I pouted as I looked at him, "Do you a problem with me, Dale?" Hindi ko napigilang magtanong.

Tinaasan lamang niya ako ng kilay as if asking the same question to me.

"Duke!" I hissed.

Humalukipkip siya, I saw his jaw tightened as he looked at me. "Yes, Lady Amaury?"

Oh? Back to our proper titles huh?

"I asked you what's your problem with me?!"

He smirked looking very much amused dahil sa frustration ko, "I don't quite understand what you're saying, Lady Amaury. Do you have a problem?"

"Ugh!" I stomped my feet at the flooring of the carriage and rolled my eyes on him.

Hindi ka lulubay at aayos ah? Okay let's stay this way. Gusto ko nalang siya hayaan but I've been thinking about this for a couple of days. Kaya hindi ko maipagsantabi na lamang ang sitwasyon namin.

"Are you perhaps mad at me, Dale?"

He looked at me calmly, "No."

Wala akong sarcasm or hidden tone sa boses niya. As if he's telling the truth.

"Really? You're not mad about the debutante ball?"

I saw some emotion flickered on his eyes. A sudden annoyance was written on his face pero agad din iyon nawala. He is indeed good at hiding his emotions.

"There's nothing for me to be mad about." He said with finality.

Then, if he says na wala, then okay. Let's leave it like that. But I do know he got mad that night though.

After a few hours, nakarating na rin kami sa kumbento. We were both given a white robe to change into. Nauna nilang asikasuhin si Dale habang ako ay pinayagan nila na maglibot-libot. 

Since I was a sucker for books, agad akong dumiretso sa library. It was huge and spacious tila ba libo-libong libro ang nakaimbak dito. Then something caught my attention, it is a silver shelf standing proud in the middle of the library. Di tulad ng ibang shelf na puno at siksik ng mga libro, this shelf only has 7 thick books. But it was the biggest shelf in this library. Even the letters na naka sulat sa libro ay iba. It was all runes. Normally, English alphabet ang gamit sa pag-sulat but on these books it was written in rune alphabet. 

When I was on my real world, I know how to speak and write different language. Kaya naman I can easily read and translate what the sentences means on this book. The book I was holding was like a Catholic bible. Though, ang pinagkaiba lang ay may magic dito na involved. In this novel, sorcery was a common thing. That's why we have a Grand Priest who can purify those sorcery that was happening.

"You can read it?"

Napalingon ako when someone approach me from behind. He has unruly black hair and red eyes. He was wearing such a revealing clothes na hindi ko alam kung saan idadako ang mata ko. If I was on my own world, mapag-kakamalan ko siyang model but in here, specifically when we are in the monastery, how could someone wear those clothes?

"Uh, yes." I answered habang pinapanatili ang tingin sa mata niya.

He looks amused, "Those persons who can read it was the gifted ones. But you seem rather ordinary."

I shrugged, "It just happens."

"No. It never 'just happen' to normal people. The one who can read the runes was born with an angel blood. In this coven, I am the only one who can translate the angel's book."

That's the first time I've heard about that. Walang ganitong inclusion na nakalagay sa novel. Walang information about dito. Maybe because the leads never seek their way to this place kaya hindi iyon nabigyan pansin ng author. The novel ended as Emeline and Gabriel got engaged. Kaya bago pa man sila makahingi ng blessings from the Grand Priest ay natapos na ang story nila.

The man that looks like in his late twenties took the book from my hand and put it back on the shelf. Kumunot ang noo niya when his hand touch mine. He looked at me seriously his lips were on a thin line.

"You..." He said as he took my hand again, "Your life force is weak... Hmm. It's seems that your soul doesn't know where to go."

"Who are you?" He said again. Binitawan niya ang kamay ko. I saw a red mark on his palm after holding my hand for a mere second.

I was too shocked to see his injured arm kaya hindi ako nakapagsalita agad. That red and burned mark wasn't there earlier. Pero ng bitawan niya ako ay nagkaroon ito ng marka. Pinagmasdan niya ang palad niya na may pulang marka na ngayon ay unti-unting naglalaho.

"My holy power took time to heal the burned mark from you." Hinarap niya ako, "There's something isn't right about this."

"You're dying."