Just Friends

I stand off to the side of the courtyard watching as Marissa hugs Ruel goodbye, trying my hardest to not seem bothered, because he's just my best friend and nothing more to me. I have no right to be jealous or angry that he's interested in someone, like who can blame him, she's literally gorgeous, and everything I'm not.

Marissa is standing at 5'10, with long lean legs, a toned stomach, and is just overall every boys dream girl. Then you have me, with my head barely making it to Ruels chest, and definitely nowhere near the size 2 she wears. I just wish I could be like her, the one he wants, but instead I'm his childhood best friend, and nothing more than that.

"Hey, you ready to go?" Ruel asks as he jogs over to me once he finishes his conversation with her, since we had plans to hangout today at his house, like we usually do everyday after school, since we live down the street from one another.

"Yeah let's go" I say in a slightly chirpy tone, hoping he doesn't notice my mood change after watching his encounter with her, the last thing I want to do is start a fight or ruin this friendship over my envy.

"Okay, wanna get something to eat first? I know you're usually hungry after school" He says once we make it into the car. I softly shake my head no and give him a small smile, because the lord knows I can't eat with the upset stomach that I have now.

"Nope, I'm good for now, I'll probs pick something up later" I say with a little laugh to get him to not ask questions, like I know he was about to from the look on his face. He stays silent as he drives back to his house and just looks at me from the corner of his eye. He lets out a little sigh and takes a hand off the steering wheel to rest it on my thigh, giving it a small squeeze, causing me to slightly tense up from the action.

"Are you okay? You seem off today bubs" he speaks up after a moment of slight hesitation. I just give him a small shrug and smile before turning away to look out the window.

"Yeah, just a little more tired than usual today, nothing serious though, so calm down Rueloff" I reply back jokingly, causing him to roll his eyes at the name. Thankfully he drops the topic though, but still keeps his hand on my thigh, not knowing the effect it has on me.

We pull up to his house and I jump out of the car and rush into the house, looking for my go to escape plan, and go to main person I vent to about the little predicament I'm in. I hear someone in the kitchen and rush in, thankfully spotting my savior.

"Babes!" I screech throwing my body onto Coco, who screeches back at me with the same level of enthusiasm. Coco Van Dijk, otherwise known as God, is my absolute best friend, besides Ruel of course. Even though he's her brother, she still has no problem talking to me about my feelings for him and even helping me when we have little fights or arguments.

"I missed you, wanna hang in my room, we have loads to talk about" she says noticing the tense look on my face as I hear someone enter the kitchen behind me. I send her a pleading look, hoping that she can whisk me away into her room, since I just can't handle being around Ruel at this exact moment. It's not his fault, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.

"Uh actually we're hanging out, sorry Coco" Ruel says with an eye roll dragging me away from her. Coco watches the exchange and the pleading look on my face, before moving her hand down to her front pocket and tapping her phone, signaling me to check my phone once I make it to his room. I give her a slight nod before I'm finally pulled out of the kitchen and practically thrown into his room from the fight I was trying to put up to stay with Coco.

"Holy shit what is your problem?" Ruel exclaims looking at me. I stare him in the eyes before giving a small shrug.

"I just missed Coco and had some things I needed to talk to her about" I say with a laugh knowing that he hates when I tell Coco things and not him.