Valentine's Disaster

I groggily roll over, reaching my arm out to grab onto my boyfriend, only to end up disappointingly grasping cold sheets. Lately Ruel has been in the studio everyday, from sunrise to sunset, coming home so tired to the point that all he does is sleep, leaving us with no time to actually spend together. I just want to be able to spend one day with him, where it's just us for once, especially on a day like today. I sit up, looking around for any sign of him, instantly spotting what appears to be a sticky note on his bedside table. I roll across the bed to his side, peeling the note off of the table, just to end up with a stomach sinking feeling of disappointment. I keep rereading the note, 'Didn't want to wake you, in studio today for new tracks , love you', a feeling of loneliness taking over my body. I grab my phone, checking for any notifications that maybe Ruel texted me something cute, only to see texts from his sisters and mom, telling me they're having flowers delivered today for me from them.

I drag myself out of bed, slowly pulling myself into the bathroom so that I can wash up for the morning, even though it's 12 since I slept in today. I set my phone up with the speaker, hitting play on favorite playlist, before getting into the steaming shower. As I stand under the hot spray of the water, letting it wash all over my skin, I can't help but think about how everyone I know will be with their boyfriends and girlfriends. They're all going to be lovey dovey with each other, whereas I'm going to be right here at home, because mine just so happened to forget. My heart clenches as the reality of him forgetting sets in, causing me to finish up my shower with teary eyes.

I pull on a pair of shorts and Ruels golf hoodie, getting ready to spend my day cleaning up the apartment. As I walk out of the room, sliding in my favorite fuzzy socks he got me for Christmas, I can't help but have a sense of hope fill me. That hope vanishes as soon as I found the corner, seeing that the living room and dining room are indeed empty, no sign of a Valentine's surprise anywhere. I shrug off the sad reality and get to work on the living room, sliding around and singing along to my favorite songs, hoping to put myself into a better mood.

My singing instantly gets cut off as I hear my phone ring, filling me up with excitement that my bubs might be calling me, causing me to answer without looking at the number calling. "Hey babes! How's your day going? My brother get you anything I can make fun of him for, we both know he's such a sap for you" Coco laughs out, Sylvies laugh echoing in the background. I let out a small laugh, sad that it wasn't my boyfriend, but even more sad that the girls are giving me more attention than he is. I ponder how to reply for a few seconds, knowing that no matter what I say, Coco is going to lose her mind.

"Actually Co, he's in the studio today, left me a note on his bedside that I woke up to. No flowers, chocolates, or even a text. Like he actually forgot. " I softly hum out, picking at the sleeves of his hoodie. The call hangs up, causing me to look at my phone with wide eyes, only for it to light up with an incoming FaceTime call. I answer the call, letting out a laugh as Sylvie and Cocos faces are practically pressed against the camera, both of them watching me in shock.

"You're fucking with me, there's no way he forgot! Like are you sure he's just not surprising you with something later today?" Sylvie questions, finding it hard to believe her brother would forget a day like this. I give them a small shrug, turning the camera and showing them the empty apartment, completely free of any surprises. I watch the looks of disappoint that fill their faces, laughing at how they're just as bothered by it as I am.

"This makes no sense, he literally uses any excuse to spoil you, and uh like it's Valentine's? He's an idiot, I'm sorry babes, I know how much you look forward to celebrating any sort of holiday with him since he's gone so much" Coco tells me with a small frown gracing her lips, I give her a soft smile back, not wanting the girls to feel bad for something they had no control over. We talk for a little longer, before both girls frown, having to leave for their own separate dates today. I reassure them that I'm okay, sending them off with a grin and blowing a kiss before I end the call, leaving me to sit on the couch with a deep frown glued to my face.