Always Been You

I sit by my phone frowning as I watch the FaceTime screen ring for a bit, before showing me that the call wasn't answered. Looks like Ruel is busy, yet again. It's not that I'm mad at him for not picking up, he has a job to do that takes up countless hours of his time, and I'm proud of the dedication he has when it comes to his career. I'm just upset that lately it seems like we never talk, he calls when I'm asleep or working, or I call when he's asleep or working. It just seems like nothing is working for us, but I can't not be with him, he's my whole world. I finally clear my thoughts and stand up from my bed, making my way to my bathroom so I can have a relaxing shower, and hopefully come out to see a message from Ruel.

I make my way out of the bathroom in my favorite hoodie that I took from Ruel, jumping onto my bed to check my phone notifs, feeling my heart flutter at the text from "bubs <3". I immediately click it, typing down a response as fast as I can, hoping he's not busy or asleep yet. Luck is finally on my side when I get a response, mere seconds after I had sent mine.

Baby I'm so sorry, I would've answered but I was on stage                                              It's okay bubs, how was the concert? I know how much you love Amsterdam :)                        It was amazing! They were so into everything and I swear they knew lyrics to unreleased songs which was kinda wild.. wish u were here tho I'm happy for you baby!! You know how your fans are, they find everything out lmao            Are you okay? You kinda ignored the last thing I said                                                  I'm okay, sorry I just didn't want to reply to it and get all emotional on you lol

I let out a shaky breath when I hit send, already feeling my built up emotions get ready to spill over, I just miss him so much. I see him typing for a couple of seconds, before the little bubble disappears, instantly replaced by my screen lighting up with an incoming FaceTime call. I hesitantly answer, making sure the hood on Ruels hoodie is covering my face a little, knowing it's already getting splotchy from being so emotional. I watch as the screen lights up, with my beautiful boyfriend laying on his bed in the back of the bus, staring at me silently.

"Hey love, wanna remove that hood for me? I want to see that beautiful face of yours-" he quietly whispers out, not wanting to overwhelm me. He can read me like a book, which is how he can always tell when something's wrong. I let out a quiet sigh, pulling the hood back, looking away from the phone so that I don't have to see the look on his face. I hear him sigh out once he takes in my under eye bags, splotchy red face, and shiny eyes. He takes in a deep breath before asking the question he didn't want to ask, "is this because of me?" He whispers out, his voice breaking with emotion. I stare at him with wide eyes, shocked by the question, and also unsure on how to reply to it.

"No! You didn't do anything wrong, I'm just a little touchy today." I instantly blurt out, not wanting him to feel bad, because I already know he's thinking about all the missed calls we've had. More than we could count just this week. He watches me, giving me an unconvinced look, running a hand roughly through his hair. We're both silent for a little bit, trying to figure out what was so different about this phone call compared to others, because this tension floating through the air has never happened before, I'm more unnerved than I've ever been with him.

"I know that's not true. I know it's getting to you, all the missed calls and late replies. It's getting to me too. I just don't know how to fix it baby, but trust me when I say I'm trying to." He whimpers out, causing my eyes to water even more at his obvious distress. I send him a watery smile and place a kiss to my promise ring, watching as he sends me a small smile while placing a kiss to the necklace he wears for me. It's a silver pendant with my first initial, he got it the same time he gave me this ring, which was over a year ago on our second anniversary together.