A Push in the Right Direction

Set where Steve begins to fall in love with Natasha. Peggy is still alive, so during his visits to her, she gives him advice. This takes place after the Winter Soldier but Natasha and Steve never went on their own separate missions or whatever. We're just going to pretend the timeline works because I say it does.

Steve hadn't known how to felt the first time he found out that Peggy was still alive...he was thrilled but also devastated because she had lived her own life while he had been stuck inside a block of ice. 

He knew he should go visit her but he couldn't work up the courage to do it. 

From what he had heard Peggy had been suffering from dementia. She was fine one minute and the next she would hardly remember where she was. 

One one morning he had gone as far as to get dressed and prepare himself to meet her...but now he was sitting at the breakfast bar with an empty cup of coffee. 

"Morning Rogers," Natasha said, entering the room with a small smirk and starting to make herself coffee and breakfast, "What are you doing all dressed up?" 

Steve sighed, "I was supposed to go visit someone." 

"Supposed to?" Natasha asked, leaning across the counter as she took a sip from her mug.

Steve nodded, "I may wait a few days." 

Natasha frowned, "If you don't mind me asking...who were you going to visit?" 

"Peggy." 

Natasha raised her eyebrows, "I would've thought you'd be excited to see her." 

Steve looked down at the bottom of his mug, "Yeah me too." 

Natasha hoisted herself up on the counter and looked down at Steve, "Why aren't you?" 

"I don't know Nat...She's lived her life. She got married, had a family. I was stuck in a block of ice for 70 years." 

Natasha's eyes narrowed slightly, she knew Steve well enough to know that wasn't all, "You and I both know that isn't it. What's this really about?"

Steve frowned and waited a moment before sighing, "I was devastated when I found out that I missed my chance with Peggy. I couldn't stop wondering what could have happened if things were different. I had so much regret Natasha. I don't....I can't put that regret in her mind too. If she lived a happy life and moved on, part of me thinks I should just let her think I died 70 years ago."

Natasha frowned, she'd never admit it out loud but Steve had become someone that she not only trusted but also cared deeply for. Hearing him suffer hurt her in more ways then she would have expected. 

"I think you should go see her Steve. I hate to tell you this but don't you think she's already got regret? Maybe not the same as what you feel but I'm sure she regrets missing out on what you two had. If it were you in her place, wouldn't you want to know? If for nothing else then to get the chance to know that you'll both get closure?" Natasha offered, offering Steve a small smile. 

Steve nodded, "I hate that you're always right." 

Natasha smirked, "No you don't. Someone's gotta knock some sense into you when you're being a dumbass." 

Steve laughed, "So me not going would make me a dumbass?" 

Natasha shrugged, "Not this time. This time is the exception." 

Steve paused with a small sigh, "You really think I should go?" 

Natasha nodded, "Yeah I do. If you want, I can come. I won't go inside with you but I can wait outside...you know, for moral support."