Out Of His Element and Into Hers

Natasha being a badass at SHIELD and making Steve more comfortable. AKA, Steve is way out of his element at the SHIELD Facilities and Natasha goes out of her way to try and help him out. 

Steve was used to not being received well. When he had first joined the army before the serum, most of the men there had thought he was a joke, and for the most part he was either completely ignored or made fun of. 

Entering SHIELD was not all that much different. 

People didn't seem to dislike him. Not because of anything he'd done at least. But several people seemed bitter about his new employment there and Steve wasn't naïve enough to think that they liked him. 

He sat alone when he ate in the cafeteria and any conversation he had with most coworkers was limited to work topics only. 

Natasha was an exception to that. 

Steve wasn't sure if it was because they had fought together in New York or if she was just professional enough to not let it show if she didn't like him. 

He guessed that it was probably a combination of both. 

"Morning Natasha," Steve said, coming besides her as he went to fix a cup of coffee. 

She looked over at him with a friendly grin, "Morning Cap. I didn't take you for a coffee drinker." 

Steve shrugged, "Gotta keep the energy up somehow." 

"I guess I just assumed you would drink tea...that tends to be a popular preference among the elderly," She joked with a smirk. 

Steve rolled his eyes, secretly loving the banter that they occasionally had. She walked alongside him as he headed towards his table in the corner of the cafeteria. 

"Anyone sitting here?" Natasha asked. 

Steve shook his head with a slight laugh, "No. People don't seem to like me very much around here." 

Natasha rolled her eyes, sitting besides him, "That'll pass. Right now some of the higher level agents are just pissed that they are having to take orders from someone who is better than them without trying. Rumlow threw a fit when Fury told him you'd eventually be leading the STRIKE team on missions." 

Steve raised an eyebrow, "Rumlow?" 

Natasha nodded, "I wouldn't worry about it, the guys a total asshole. People will grow to respect you. Just give it time." 

Steve shook his head, "Rumlow is one of the few people who actually reached out to me though. He texts me all the time." 

Natasha frowned, "Can I see those text?" 

Steve nodded and handed Natasha his phone. She scrolled through them and held back a sigh, not wanting Steve to be embarrassed. 

Yesterday it seemed that Rumlow had taken to educate Steve about emoticons and how to use them. Except his advice was to use at least one in every message.

Natasha shrugged, "Maybe he's cooled down about it." 

She added her personal number to the phone and then handed it back to Steve.

"I've gotta get going but let me know if you need anything," Natasha said. 

She walked off, pulling up Rumlow's number as she did so. 

Keep messing with Captain Rogers and I'll have the entire Strike Team disbanded within an hour :)

She didn't get a text back but by the look of both fear and loathing Rumlow gave her that afternoon at a briefing session, she figured that he got the hint.