Civil War at Home

Requested by jsr2351, James is alive during civil war and he watches Nat and Steve interact.

James Rogers had seen his parents fight. It different happen often but when it did, it was over something important. 

He was only six, but he was smart enough to know that whatever was happening now was important. 

It had started the night that his mom and dad had come home from a mission. They didn't look as physically hurt as normal, but his father looked miserable. 

"It's not your fault Steve," James heard Natasha whisper, stroking Steve's hair gently.

"Then whose fault is it Nat? I should have stayed focused. I let him get under my skin and people died because of it." 

He heard Natasha sigh, "You aren't the only one who messed up today. We should have made sure Wanda was ready for the field. I should have known he had bombs on him. We all should have evacuated the area sooner. This one doesn't just fall on you Steve. It's on all of us and we have to learn from it." 

James peeked into the room and saw Steve pacing in front of the bed where Natasha was sitting. 

"So many people died Natasha." 

Natasha was shaking her head now, "I know. And it's awful. But think about how many people we saved. There's no fight without losses. No matter how awful it might be, it's true." 

Steve sat down, hanging his head. James frowned at how upset he looked. 

"Why do you always have to be right?"

Natasha smiled slightly, "That's just how it works." 

James watched as Steve lean towards Natasha but she placed her hand on his shoulder, "We've got a little spy watching us." 

She looked over at James and smiled, "Come on."

James shyly creeped forward and walked towards the foot of his parents bed. 

"What did I tell you about eavesdropping?" Natasha asked. 

James looked down at his feet, "Not to do it unless I know I won't get caught." 

Natasha smirked, "Exactly, now come here. I missed you today." 

James grinned and climbed onto the bed with his parents, giggling when Natasha pulled him towards her and tickled his stomach gently. 

She let go of him and James jumped into Steve's arms, wrapping his own arms around Steve's neck. 

"Momma?" James asked when Steve set him down to lay between the two parents. 

Natasha raised her eyebrows and looked down at her son, "Hm?"

"How come you guys can't save everyone? I thought that's what superheroes do?"

Steve's face fell and Natasha grabbed his hand, while also stroking James' hair gently, "Well, we try to save everyone. If we could do that we would, but sometimes the bad guys make it very hard and we don't always have enough time or people to save everyone." 

James frowned, "Would you be able to save me from a bad guy?" 

"Yes. We'll always protect you," Natasha promised. 

Steve nodded, wrapping his arm around both Natasha and James. 

"Can I sleep with you tonight?" James asked his parents. 

Steve nodded, "Yes. Just remember that your mom snores really loud after missions."

James giggled and Natasha kicked Steve's shin with a glare, "I do not."