The Ultimate Sacrifice

Steve does everything possible to make sure Natasha comes home from Vormir. 

Steve had always known that he would die for Natasha. He loved her more than anything and although he'd never been given the chance to tell her, that would never change. 

When he found out that she had been the cost of defeating Thanos and bringing everyone back, he was heartbroken. 

The last five years with the two of them alone together had been the last memories he would ever get to make with her. 

He felt like he had wasted them. 

He had five fucking years to tell her that he loved her and he'd been too much of a coward to do so. 

Now he was utterly and completely heartbroken. 

He had mourned for weeks before the opportunity had arisen for him to return the stones. 

Bruce had assured him that it wouldn't be possible to bring Natasha back but Steve was determined. 

It was a soul for a soul and he had devised a plan to do exactly that. 

He didn't tell anyone but Clint. 

Everyone else would just tell him it was impossible and that he shouldn't get his hopes up.  

Clint understood his desperation. But even he didn't know that Steve had a back up plan. 

He wasn't planning on returning without Natasha. Without her, there was nothing left for him here. 

"Be careful Steve. Bring her back to us if you can," Clint told him that day that he was leaving. 

Steve nodded, "I will." 

Clint pat him on the shoulder before walking away. Bruce walked up and handed him the briefcase containing all the stones, "You know what to do?"

Steve nodded, "Yeah. I've got this." 

Bruce nodded, "Let me know when you're ready." 

Steve walked over to Sam and Bucky, "You guys look out for each other. If anything happens on this mission, the world is still gonna need a Captain America." 

Bucky gave him a sad smile, if anyone knew what he was planning it would be him, "Be careful Steve. Don't do anything stupid." 

Steve smiled, "How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you." 

Bucky nodded at him. 

"Good luck Steve," Sam said. 

Steve nodded, "Thanks Sam." 

With that, he stepped on the platform and nodded at Bruce, "I'm ready." 

Bruce nodded and pressed a button, counting down from five. 

Then Steve was gone. 

-------------------------------------------

Steve saved Vormir for last. Now that everything had been returned but the soul stone he could barter for Natasha's life for the rest of his own if that was what it took. 

He wasn't leaving there without her. 

He hiked his way up to the peak of the mountain where she had met her demise, clutching the briefcase in his hand tightly. 

When he finally made it to the top, there was a hooded figure waiting for him. It moved further into the light and Steve frowned.

"You," He said, recognizing the red skull instantly, "I thought you were dead."