A Little More Time

Steve wishes that he could just have one more day with Natasha. 

Steve hadn't been the same since Natasha's death. 

It had wrecked him. 

He'd finished fighting the battle against Thanos and then he had just shut down. 

He passed his shield down to Sam and retired. He couldn't keep fighting battles when he knew that Natasha wouldn't be by his side or watching his back. 

She had been his partner and without her, he couldn't go on. 

It didn't help that he had been hopelessly in love with her for years but hadn't ever got the courage to admit it. 

It was probably the biggest regret of his life, especially because he knew that he had five years alone with her where they could have started a life together. 

Everyone had been worried about him. Sam called just about everyday and Bucky stopped by whenever he and Sam weren't on a mission. 

Pepper called a lot too, she was grieving Tony's death too so they often talked about their two lost loved ones. 

Wanda sent him reassuring text messages as often as she could and Peter sent him pictures whenever he saw graffiti in Natasha's honor. 

Clint and his family did the most. 

They started inviting Steve over for meals and the kids had started calling him Uncle Steve. Laura was extremely comforting and good with words while Clint seemed to be the only other person who missed Natasha as much as Steve did. 

Some nights, they would just sit down and talk about her.

On one night in particular, Wanda was in town and she had joined them in their discussion. 

"How long has it been now?" Wanda asked, sitting cross legged in the lawn chair. 

Clint had started a fire outside and the three of them where sitting around it quietly until Wanda spoke up. 

Steve took a long sip from his drink, "Three months and eight days." 

Clint frowned, "It feels so much longer." 

Steve nodded and Wanda sighed, "If you could change anything about it...what would you change?" 

Clint scoffed, "I'd make sure it had been me. She's always been the better fighter but I should have known what she'd do. I could have been one step ahead." 

Steve sighed, "You could never be a step ahead of her. Being a step ahead was her thing. It's why she was so good at what she did." 

Clint nodded solemnly, "I know. I just wish I could have been, you know?" 

Steve nodded and fell silent for a moment, "I wish I could just spend one more day with her. I'd just tell her everything I never got the chance to tell her." 

Clint frowned, "I think she knew that you loved her Steve. Natasha knew you better than anyone and she could read people like a book." 

Steve shrugged, "Maybe. But not enough people told her how amazing she was. I should have been one of the people to do that. She deserved to know that she was my entire world." 

Clint nodded, "I get it man. I wish she were here too." 

"Yeah," Steve whispered, "Me too." 

They sat in silence for a while longer before Steve stood up, "I think I'm gonna head in for the night." 

Clint nodded, "Okay. If you don't feel like driving home tonight you're welcome to stay in our guest bedroom." 

Steve shook his head, "Thank you but I think I'm just gonna head home. This place just makes me miss her even more sometimes, you know?"