I Trust You

Requested by LiiliexLA after Clint rescues Nat from the red room, she has to adapt to working at shield. Steve helps.

Natasha had only been officially working at Shield for a few days now. She felt out of place. Like a wolf in a field full of dogs. 

People regarded her with caution, as though they expected her to pull on a knife on them and start slashing at any moment. 

Though she supposed she couldn't blame them. 

A few months ago she had been at the top of Shield's wanted list and now she was working alongside the very people who had been sent to kill her. 

Trust wasn't something she expected though she secretly craved for someone to fully trust that she wasn't going to kill them in their sleep. 

On the few missions she had been sent along on, she was told the bare minimum. She'd never know who they were targeting, or why, just what her role in the mission would be. 

Even Clint, who had saved her life and initially promised her a better life, seemed to remain on guard around her. 

She had once had a knife to his throat though, so again, she couldn't blame him. 

Fury could see her potential as an agent but seemed to be watching her every move carefully as though to make sure she wasn't just trying to gain information and report back to the Red Room. 

It wasn't until Steve Rogers came back from a long mission that she finally met someone who didn't question her reasons for betraying the Red Room. 

"Agent Romanoff, meet Captain Rogers. He's going to be your leading commander on missions and he'll be there during your training as well," Fury said after calling her into his office one morning. 

Natasha stuck her hand out, not really expecting him to take it. 

When he did, she had to remind herself not to look surprised. 

"Nice to meet you Agent Romanoff," He said, smiling in a way that looked so genuine that she wondered if he knew who she was. 

"You too," She said, knowing it was the proper way to respond. 

Fury handed him a file and Steve began looking through it, "Cap, this is the file for tonight's mission. I'm sending you, Barton, and Romanoff. Briefing is in twenty." 

Steve nodded. 

"You're both dismissed," Fury said.

Natasha turned to walk away and was surprised when Steve followed closely behind. 

"You wanna take a look at this?" He offered, extending the file. 

Natasha raised an eyebrow, "Isn't that sensitive information?" 

Steve nodded, "Yeah but I figured you'd like to know what the mission is before we ask you to charge into battle with us." 

Natasha cautiously accepted the file, looking through it and trying her best to not doubt Steve's motives for handing her the file, was it some kind of trap? A way to get her fired?

When she had seen all the information in the file, she handed it back to Steve, "Thanks," She said quietly.

"No problem. I'll see you in the briefing."

Natasha nodded and walked to the kitchen to get herself a coffee, knowing it would probably be a long night. 

She ignored the glares she received as she walked.