-03- 🌕 Lied To

"It's not true... tell me I've been lied to."
~Billie Eilish, 'i love you'

~~~

*Type's POV*

I storm back to the house and am greeted by whoops and hollers from my guests. In my rage, I completely forgot that my clothing tore when I shifted, and I am now completed naked.

I snarl at the crowd, ordering them to leave my house. My friends look concerned and try to ask what happened, but I dismiss them and run upstairs to my room. Slamming my door shut, I pace around my bedroom.

How is this possible?

How can Tharn, my best friend, a guy, be my mate?

My parents always taught me not to insult the Moon. Fuck that. I have less respect for the Moon than I ever have in my life.

What's the point of mating me to someone that I can never love? I love Tharn like a brother, but as a lover? The very thought makes me shudder.

I'm struck cold when another realization hits me.

Kids.

Having a biological child with Tharn is impossible. Am I so hated by the Moon, that she would take away my chance for a biological child? Pain lacerates my heart at the thought, and I sink down onto my bed.

What am I going to tell my parents? My friends? I'm supposed to be mated to a beautiful girl — like Puifai — and yet, I'm mated to a man.

My inner wolf is whimpering, begging me to go back to Tharn. I cover my ears and try to block out my wolf, but it's impossible to drown out the pleading sounds within my head. With a heavy sigh, I throw on a pair of sweats and an old t-shirt. I text my parents to let them know the party is over early, and my mom lets me know they are already on their way home. I tilt my head in confusion, because they weren't supposed to come home until much later.

Ten minutes later, I hear the sound of the front door opening and the pounding of feet coming up the stairs. There's a rapid knock on my door, and I barely have the chance to say "Come in" before the door swings open, and my very worried parents walk into my room.

"Type?" My mom says, concern laced in her voice. "We heard you sent your guests home early, and you seemed really upset. Is everything okay?"

I furrow my brows. "Who told you that?"

"Tharn," my mother tells me, and I cringe. "He called us a bit ago. He seemed very worried about you. What's going on?"

I chew on my bottom lip, unsure of how to break the news to my parents. They're sure to be as upset as I am.

My dad takes a seat on the edge of my bed. "Type, you can tell us anything. Now, what happened tonight?"

Letting out a deep sigh, I come clean. "I found my mate."

My mom's eyes light up with excitement. "You did? That's wonderful!"

I shake my head. "You don't get it. It's anything but wonderful," I say bitterly.

"Why would you say that?"

"My mate is Tharn," I confess. I wait for my parents to blow up with anger, but they just look at me with blank expressions. "Did you hear what I said?"

My mother nods her head. "You're mate is Tharn. What else happened?"

I scoff in disbelief. "What else happened?" I repeat. "My mate is Tharn. A man. Do you not understand that?"

"We understand, son," my dad interjects. "We had our suspicions since you two were young that you would be mated together."

"And you weren't angry??"

"Of course not," my dad says, as if the very idea of being angry is ridiculous. "Tharn is an upstanding young man. He obviously cares about you very much. Plus, he's the next alpha of our pack! Which makes you... our next Luna."

My face pales. The next Luna? Me? There has never been a male Luna in our pack. If I can't accept that fact, the rest of the pact certainly won't accept me as their Luna. The Luna is the queen of the pact; a woman. This is all too much.

"There has to be something we can do," I think aloud. "There has to be a way to reverse it." My parents look at me in shock.

"Reverse it? Why would you want to reverse what the Moon has fated for you?" My mom demands.

A light goes off in my mind. "The elders. If anyone would know of a way to fix this mistake and find my rightful mate, it would be the elders."

"Type—"

"No! I refuse to be mated to Tharn. I'm going to fix this obvious error, and then everything will be okay. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to talk to the elders."

My mom opens her mouth to argue, but my dad places a hand over hers and she stops herself. My dad looks at me with a grim expression. "Type. You know what happens when you reject your mate. It's extremely painful, both for you and Tharn. Now, you're an adult and I can't tell you what to do. But please, think this over carefully before doing something rash."

"I don't need time to think this over," I say firmly. "This isn't want I want for myself."

My parents exchange a weary look before standing up and heading for the door. Before leaving the room, my mom turns to me again. "Sweetheart. You know that wolves hit their first heat very shortly after meeting their mates. I don't want to see you in pain because you're too stubborn to be with the one you're destined to love."

My eyes narrow. "Even if I'm mated to Tharn, I could never love him. I don't care how strong the heat is; I'm going to find a way to undo this mistake."

With a heavy sigh, my mom follows my dad out of my bedroom. I flop back onto my bed and stare at the ceiling.

There has to be a way out of this.

There has to be.

~~~

Thank you for your love and support! 🥰 And remember to comment/vote!
-Gumbie

Thank you for your love and support! 🥰 And remember to comment/vote! -Gumbie