-23- 🌒 Beyond Help

[A/N - Trigger warning: verbal abuse]

"And no one can ever hurt me like I've hurt myself. 'Cause I'm made out of stone and I'm beyond help. Don't give your heart to me."
~Dean Lewis, 'Half A Man'

~~~

*Lhong's POV*

"Stop!"

A hand grasps my arm, forcing me to spin back around. My gaze is instantly drawn to the melted chocolate swirls of Thorn's eyes, and I can feel our newfound connection pulsing with need.

Fuck.

"You are so not walking away from me right now," Thorn fumes.

"Let go of me!" I snarl, trying to break out of his grasp. Thorn tightens his iron grip, refusing to let me go. My eyes widen at the realization that even though my Alpha blood makes me strong, Thorn's determination to keep me in place is much stronger.

"Not until we talk. You don't get to walk away from this conversation," Thorn states firmly. Glaring at him, I stop struggling with a huff. "Good boy."

I roll my eyes in an attempt to cover up the blush that rises to my cheeks when he said that. It doesn't help that, over the years, Thorn has grown into a ridiculously attractive man. He exudes authority and beauty, regardless of the scar on his face. My heart hurts looking at the scar. Whether it's our new connection, or the care I've held onto for Thorn for years, it pains me to know he was hurt that badly.

I clear my throat, trying to maintain my unfazed appearance. "Whatever. If you want to talk, fine. Talk."

Thorn scoffs. "Okay. Fine. You want to be straightforward, we can be straightforward. We're mates, and I would appreciate if you wouldn't reject me."

I choke on my own spit. "W-Why would you think I'm rejecting you?"

Thorn smiles humorlessly. "Oh, I don't know. Maybe because you literally ran away from me just now?"

"I-I am a bit overwhelmed with everything! I see you for the first time in years, and find out we're mates. Kind of a big change from just being my friend's little brother."

"Ouch. And here I thought we were friends, too."

I wince and look at him apologetically. "I didn't mean it like that. Of course we were friends, but... I don't know, Thorn. This is just too weird."

Worry splashes across Thorn's face. His hold on my arm loosens, his hand slipping away and falling to his side. "Are you... are you really rejecting me?" He asks in a broken whisper. Pain shoots in my chest at the sadness radiating from my mate.

"I... I don't know," I confess quietly. "I think I need time. Please... give me time."

I take a step back before turning away from Thorn. Everything within me is screaming for me to stay with my mate; my wolf whining in desperation. I force myself to keep walking, ignoring the pain spreading through my body with each step.

"Is it because of Tharn?"

My steps still, and my face pales. I turn back around and immediately regret doing so. There was a time when I would have loved for everyone to know what happened between me and Tharn. For the entire world to know that, even if for a brief moment, there was a time when someone actually wanted me. Needed me. Like how Tharn did.... or, at least how I thought he did.

But none of that matters the moment I see the look of absolute devastation on Thorn's face. For the first time, I actually hate myself for what happened with Tharn. Enough to make my stomach hurt. Sex is supposed to be a sacred thing shared between mates. I didn't think much of it because I didn't have a mate, and I didn't understand why Tharn had made such a big deal about it by avoiding me.