-20- 🌑 With You, I'm Safe

"And I'm not scared to say those words with you, I'm safe. We're fallin' like the stars, we're fallin' in love."
~James Arthur, 'Falling Like The Stars'

~~~

*Tharn's POV*

I didn't leave Thorn's bedside for two weeks. Even after he woke up and insisted that I carry on with my normal routine, I couldn't. I couldn't focus on anything else until my little brother was healed.

Every fiber of my being as been screaming for me to track down those wolves. It's my primal instinct, not only as an Alpha wolf, but as a brother. I can't just sit still, knowing those fuckers are running around free somewhere. Fortunately for them, Type has kept me tethered to his side, strictly watching over me to make sure I don't do anything rash. Otherwise, I would've ripped those pieces of shit to shreds by now.

A hand runs over my shoulder, instantly melting away the stress bundled up in my muscles. I sink back into the couch and look at the beautiful man at my side.

"You need to relax," Type insists. "Hovering out here isn't going to help with anything. Thorn is perfectly capable of showering without help. Although, I still replay in my head the look on his face when you hired a personal nurse aid for him. Priceless," Type chuckles.

I sigh and lean my head back against the cushion. "I just want to make sure my brother receives the best care possible. Is that so bad?"

"No, it's not. But we've known from the start that his condition wasn't that bad. His wounds have healed up nicely, save for a few scars here and there. But other than that, he's fine. You understand that, right?"

"Yeah," I say through clenched teeth. Yes, I know that Thorn is physically fine. He's walking around by himself, eating properly, and sleeping normally. He doesn't need my help. But I just can't help but feel like... "I couldn't help him."

Type looks at me and blinks. "What?"

"Thorn. I wasn't here to fight off the wolves. I wasn't here when he was found and rushed to the doctor. I wasn't here, Type. And I can't do a thing about that. All I can do is try and make him as comfortable as possible, but apparently that's wrong, too," I let out a shaky sigh.

"Don't do that," Type wraps his hand around mine, giving it a comforting squeeze. "Don't put this on yourself. Even if you were here, there's no way to know for sure if you would have gotten to him any faster than your dad did. You are helping in the way you think is best. Thorn might feel a little suffocated, but he knows it's coming from a good place. He doesn't blame you for not being there, either. No one does. You wanted a weekend away with me, and that's okay. Look how much progress we made during our trip! It's okay to have that, Tharn. It's okay to take time for your own happiness."

My arms wind around Type's waist, and I scoop him into my lap. I crush him into a tight hug, one that he eagerly returns. I hold him closely, tears brimming in my eyes.

"How did I get so lucky?" I murmur into his chest. "I'm so fucking blessed to have you as my mate."

"I know, right?" Type teases, pushing my hair back so he can press a kiss to my forehead. I tilt my head up, brushing our lips together. The light contact causes my body to heat up underneath Type. He wiggles in my lap, which certainly does not help my growing situation. I growl loudly, making Type whine in his throat. His need pours through our mate bond, fueling my own. I'm about to fully connect our lips when a loud voice booms into the main room.

"At least wait until you're behind a locked door before you started going at it, huh?" Thorn reprimands us with a teasing grin. He slowly makes his way into the room; the limp he sported last week now barely noticeable. If it weren't for that long scar extending from the side of his head down to his collar bone, one would've have been able to tell that he was attacked at all.