-36- 🌕 Tiny Hands

"Two tiny hands, a pair of eyes. An unsung melody is mine for safekeeping."
~Waitress, 'Everything Changes'

~~~

*Type's POV*

"Tharn, no."

"Please~"

"No."

"Why not?" Tharn questions, baffling me that he's actually serious.

"Because it's crazy!"

"I don't see why it's so crazy that I want to keep him."

"We can't keep him, Tharn!" I scoff, exasperated. "It's not the same as finding a dog on the street and taking him home! It's a child."

"I know he's a child," Tharn rolls his eyes. "But he doesn't have a family. He's a pup without anyone to care for him. If we don't take him, he'll end up being sent to a different family, one that may not even be in our pack."

"Then that's what will happen," I nod my head, and Tharn's eyes widen. "Tharn, we don't know anything about raising a kid."

"You did a good job at getting him to stop crying."

"That was once. It doesn't mean I'm capable of taking care of a child."

"So we'll learn as we go," Tharn says softly, taking my hands in his. "I really want this for us. I think... I think we could be really good for him."

My face softens at the desperation of my mate. But, still... I can't get comfortable with the idea of us being parents. I know we talked about adopting in the future, but I didn't think it would be so soon.

"Please?" He pleads with his irresistible puppy eyes. "At least say you'll think about it."

I sigh, knowing I won't be able to change his mind right now. I'll have to give him time to change his mind on his own. "Okay. I'll think about it."

Tharn beams happily before kissing my forehead. "Thank you. That's all I can ask for. Besides, it doesn't look like he's going to leave you alone any time soon."

I look down with a sigh at the small boy clinging to my leg, staring at me with round, dark eyes. He hasn't left my side since I gave him the bottle that calmed him down.

"Yeah," I murmur, reaching down to tousle his black hair. The boy giggles, burying his face in my pant leg. "I suppose he's not."

The kid follows me around for the next few days, refusing to leave my side for even a second. Going to the bathroom proves to be a challenge, but fortunately he's warms up to Tharn enough to let Tharn hold him as I relieve my bladder. He goes as far as to sit on the bathroom floor while I'm taking a shower, only seeming to be comforted when I'm in the same room as him. Of course, Tharn finds it all super adorable... except for the fact that the little boy doesn't like to sleep anywhere except for our bed.

The boy tugs on my pant leg, looking up at me with wide eyes. He has yet to make any sounds besides crying and giggling, and he really ought to be old enough to know how to speak even just a few words.

"What?" I ask flatly. "What do you need?"

He reaches up with little grabby hands, and I sigh before scooping him up and balancing him on my hip.

"What?" I repeat. "Are you hungry?"

He nods his head, clearing understanding what I'm saying but not making any effort to communicate with me. I swallow my frustrations, reminding myself that he's still just a baby, in a new environment, and that's probably scary for him.