28. Where She Belongs.

It was a very royal looking place. Faith had been to one such restaurant before when her family had been invited for a wedding reception. The maroon marbled floor, the high white walls, and the ceiling with intricate artwork all made for a perfect ambience. Faith looked around and smiled; she liked it.

“Hello, Mrs. Armstrong.” A middle aged man with a balding head greeted them. “Let me guide you to your table. This way, please.”

They were escorted to a table in a secluded corner. It looked like something celebrities would dine at to avoid public attention. The four of them seated themselves, and Haylee and Faith lay their hands upon the menu as soon as the man went out of sight.

“Oh! Oh! Chicken with blood rose! That’s my favorite!” Haylee exclaimed.

“That’s gross.” Liam said, his arms crossed. “I don’t see why exactly you like it so much.”

Haylee ignored him and kept looking through the menu. “Yes! Red velvet pastry! Yum!”

“I’ll have that too!” Faith exclaimed. “My mom makes them too.”

Just as she said that, Liam’s head snapped in her direction. “I’ll have that too.” Haylee and his mom gave him a look of utter shock.

“Say what?” Haylee cocked one eye and scrutinized his face. “You hate that!”

“But you should always keep on trying new things.”

“Oh really?” Haylee mocked him with her vast knowledge on himself. “All you ever order is that stupid mulberry pie and a glass of champagne.”

“Let him have it if he wants to!” Margaret intervened. “What’s so wrong with trying to be nice in your girlfriend’s eyes?” She took a sip of water and looked away, pretending like she didn’t say anything.

“Mom!” Liam whispered, embarrassed, as Haylee rolled her eyes at her brother. Liam looked at Faith and gave her an extremely faint sheepish smile.

When their food arrived, Haylee and Faith dug into it. Liam noticed how similar the two of them were. No wonder they got along so well. They kept chattering constantly, and it was something that he hated. He always liked eating in a quiet environment.

“He didn’t even compliment me properly.” Faith whispered to Hayley, making sure that Liam didn’t listen.

“He’s a dumbass when it comes to those things. I bet he’s never even told you how pretty you are.” Haylee smiled. “Give him some time. He’ll eventually open up.”

“Looks like some people don’t know how to shut up.” He said, digging into his meat, and never looking up from his plate.

“Looks like some people don’t know how to appreciate good things.” Haylee aped her brother.

He immediately understood what she was talking about. He glared at her. He wasn’t good at these things and needed a little more time to say things like that. Why did she have to say it out loud?! He kicked her under the table.

“Oh my God!” Faith leaned over on the table and groaned in pain. Her fork fell from her hand. “Ouch…” She bit her lips in pain, after which she glared at him.

“Mommy mommy he was aiming for me!” Haylee pointed at Liam with her fork.

“Oh, you are such kids all of you.” Margaret sighed, trying to comfort Faith.

“Oh God, I’m so sorry Faith. I was really aiming for her!” Liam was regretful and it showed, although Faith was miffed with him for pulling off something as stupid as that.

“See?!” Haylee extended her hands out. "What kind of a brother would do that?”

Faith was still upset and moaning over what he did, Margaret was scolding him, Haylee kept on throwing little bits against him during the conversation, and Liam, well he was listening to all of them rant about him as he pulled at his hair in despair.

It looked like anything but a peaceful and intimate family dinner.

“It’ll be just a moment.” Liam told his mother and Haylee when he asked them to wait in the car.

He made his way back to the entrance of the restaurant, where Faith was standing. She wasn’t angry anymore. But he had hit her so hard that her leg had reddened at that particular spot. As he neared her, he looked around to see if anybody was looking. It was past ten, so there weren’t many people around. She was sitting on a wooden bench outside the restaurant, caressing her legs. Liam felt really bad. He came and kneeled down in front of her.

“I’m so sorry baby.” He whispered softly, genuine remorse all over his face.

“It’s okay.” She smiled, as she ruffled his hair. “I’ll take revenge.”

He rolled his eyes before using his fingers to put his displaced hair back in place. “Does it hurt?” He looked at her leg with concern.

She nodded.

“I’ll take care of this. I promise.” He touched her where it hurt. His warm hands shot a pang of heat through her body amidst the cold air. He held out his hand and she took it. They went back to their car and he drove home.

“I’m so sleepy. Drive faster Liam.” Haylee said in a sleepy tone. She looked like she would doze off any minute.

“Trust me, I want to. The only time when you’d not be talking, I’d love that!” He smirked.

“Faith, your boyfriend is so rude. Punch him right in the head. Like this.” She threw a fake punch at him, which of course, didn’t elicit any response.

It was too late when they got home. Margaret went straight to bed, and Haylee barely kept her eyes open until Faith came and slept by her side. When she shut the door and lay down on the bed, Haylee was too sleepy to talk. “Good night… I wanted to talk about so much stuff but…..” Her voice trailed off, as she drifted off to sleep.

Faith was tired too, but not as sleepy as Haylee. She closed her eyes and tried to sleep. The memory of how Liam hit her came back, and it made her smile. What a stupid boy, she thought. The pain was almost gone now, and she was trying to fall asleep. But then, her phone beeped and the screen lit up. She unlocked it and saw that she had a new message.

-Haylee’s bed isn’t the place where you belong. ;) Coming to pick you up!!

Vote and comment if you liked this chapter!