38. Love On The Rooftop

Faith sniffed and sobbed softly on the way home. Haylee offered to drive, while Liam sat with Faith in the backseat, her body buried into his chest. He tried to convince her to forget what happened, but she kept telling him that she couldn’t. When they reached home, Haylee pulled up and as soon as she did, Faith stormed out of the car and inside the house.

“Faith!” Liam called out, but she was too fast. “Hayles, I’ll be right back.” He ran behind her.

As Margaret held the door open and stared at Faith walking inside, Liam reached the door too.

“What happened to her? Is everything okay?” She asked, concerned.

Liam didn’t answer her and ran after Faith. “What is with these kids?” Margaret scoffed. Haylee parked the car and came in holding up her floor length gown.

“Young lady, are you gonna tell me or not?” Margaret stopped her daughter.

“Whoa! Chill mommy. What happened?”

“Exactly. What happened?” She shook her head in confusion.

“Oh that.” Haylee bobbed her head to the side. “Umm… I think I should go in.” She ran inside.

“How strange. These kids just won’t tell me anything.” As Margaret shut the door, Liam and Haylee both came to her.

“Where did Faith go?” Liam was panting, his hands on his hips. Haylee nodded.

“Do you care to tell me what happened?” Margaret asked, eyebrows arched.

“Scarlett bitch Weiner happened.” Haylee rolled her eyes.

“What?” Margaret’s expression tightened. “Where did that bitch come from?”

“Mom!” Haylee and Liam were both taken aback at their mother’s choice of words.

“What? She really deserves to be called that after what she did to my baby.” She pulled Liam’s cheeks.

“Ma... Now I’m kinda glad Faith’s not here.” Liam removed her mother’s hand from his face. “Look for her.”

They bolted in different directions and looked through the huge house. “I wish our house wasn’t so freaking big.” Haylee slumped down on the sofa. “I’m tired already.”

Liam came and flicked a finger at her head. “Look. For. Her.” He said through clenched teeth.

“Stop hitting me!” Haylee swatted at his arm and resumed looking. It was crazy. Faith just wasn’t there.

“What, is this girl like a spirit or something?” Liam threw his head back and sighed. “Where is she?” He looked around, and his eyes stopped wandering when they fell on something at the base of the attic’s staircase. “Hey, I got this. I think I found her.”

He walked over to the staircase. The attic was unused, and it always remained shut. But Liam saw two beautiful shoes at the base of the staircase. He picked them up and ascended upstairs to the small room. As he reached the top, a cool breeze hit his face. The window was open. He climbed in through the little aperture and crossed over to the other side. It was a small extension of the rooftop that they never visited. It was full of dry leaves, and they rustled against the wind. He looked around, and there she was. Sitting at the edge, looking up at the sky, her body curled up into a ball as she hugged her knees close to her chest. Liam heaved a sigh of relief as his eyes found what was most precious to him. He took small, slow steps towards Faith.

“Hey there, Cinderella.” He bent down and put the shoes on her feet, as she watched him calmly. He kissed her on the forehead and sat down beside her, taking her into his hold.