g

i stood in front of my old house, instantly hating the yellowing exterior. swallowing my fear, i walked up the overgrown walkway, and to the door.
     i knocked.
     there was no response. i knocked again, louder this time.
     i heard the old, familiar squeak of my mother's recliner folding in on itself, and my mother's lumbering steps towards the door.
     i wanted to run. i wanted to run so bad. but i didn't.
     the door creaked open, showing off my mothers angry face.
     "-stupid people bothering me-" she gasped.
     "hi mom..." i mumbled, fear gripping my chest for the first time since the day richie and i ran away.
     "eddie bear!" my mom cried, rushing out of the door to wrap me in her arms. "i missed you! what happened, where did you go? are you ok? did that tozier boy hurt you?"
     "what mom no. he didn't hurt me, he'd never hurt me!" i exclaimed as she ushered me inside.
     it smelled like mothballs and dust. it made me want to sneeze.
     "don't lie to me eddie. what happened?" she nearly snarled.
     i winced at her tone. "richie and I ran away that night, mom. the night you tried to tell me i was sick, and that i needed to go away. we ran to new york and stayed at his aunts house," i took a breath, trying not to look at my mother's face which was growing increasing angry.
     "we've stayed since that night... and richie proposed-"
     my mother gasped, a small "no!" escaping her lips.
     "and we're getting married tomorrow mom."
     "eddie," she whined. "you can't just show up out of the blue and just tell me your getting married! not like this, not to a boy!"
     "mom. i love him. and he loves me. you can't tell me what i can and can't do. i-i'm an adult now-"
     she cut me off with a slap across my face.
     "oh!" i cried out in surprise, falling backwards onto the ground.
     "you will not be marrying that boy!" she snarled.
     i wiped the blood trickling from my nose, fighting back tears.
     "yes. i am!" i shouted.
     "you have already disobeyed me once edward. what would your father think?"
     "to be honest, mom, i don't give two flying fucks what my dad would think!" i screamed, tears rushing down my face. "i don't fucking care!"
     "you will not speak to your mother like that edward. i'm taking you to the doctor, now!"
     "no. you're not. i'll be leaving now," i snapped at her, as i stood up.
     i turned to the door.
     "eddie bear," my mother cried. "please don't leave me!"
     tears welled up in my eyes, i knew i has put her through too much pain. "i'm sorry mommy," i breathed.
     i placed my hand on the doorknob and began opening it, when something collided with my head and the world went black.

i slowly sat up, confused as to where i was, and a dull, throbbing pain in my head. after a moment, i realized it was my old bedroom.
nothing had changed since i left; i assumed my mother had kept it that way in the hopes i would come back.
i stood up, too quickly. stars blurred my vision.
i stumbled over to my door.
"mommy?" i called out shakily, as i wiggled the doorknob to no avail.
i was met with her loud snores. i pulled on the door, but it was stuck tight. i rammed it with my body, and immediately regretted it.
i sat back on my bed clutching my shoulder for a moment.
"the window!" i mentally slapped myself.
i stood once more, making my way over to it. my face fell when i saw the long, rusty nails going through the window and into the window sill.
"fuck!" i cried.
it was getting darker outside. i had told richie that if i wasn't back by nine to come and get me, but there was no way my mom would let him step foot in the house.
i ran my fingers through my fading hair, shocked to see my hands covered in blood. gingerly, I touched the back of my head, feeling the cut on the back of my head.
i panicked. i had to get out.
i threw open my closet door, grabbing the nearest article of clothing and wrapped it around my hand.
i stumble back over to my window and closed my eyes. i pulled back my arm, and shot it forward. it shattered.
i laughed, and jumped from the window, landing in the overgrown lawn.
     i stumbled, but remained upright. i turned around, and flipped off the house, taking a few steps back.
    i felt a heavy hand grip my shoulder and i screamed, and turned quickly.
     "r-richie!" i cried, clutching my chest. "that scared the shit out of me!"
     he said nothing, but continued to look at me with wide eyes.
     my stomach fell. "what's wrong 'chee?" i asked shakily.
     he wrapped me in his arms and began sobbing. "i'm so sorry, baby. i shouldn't have let you go alone. i'm sorry, i'm sorry i'm sorry-"
     i looked up at him, and placed my lips on his neck. "i'm ok 'chee," i reassured him. "i promise."
     "eds... have you looked in the mirror recently?"
     i shook my head no.
     he bit his lip.
     "what? what's wrong?"
     "your head is has a big ass cut on it, and your face is bruised to shit, and uhh, your hand is busted open babe..."
     i laughed. "i knew about my head and hand. i'm not surprised about my face."
     he held me tightly again. "are you ok?"
     "i feel fine," i said with a shrug.
      "how about mentally?"
     "i... don't know. i think i'm ok," i told him. "yeah. i'm sure i am."
     "ok baby. let's get you home. or, should i take you to the hospital?"
     i shook my head. "i'm good. the cut really isn't that deep. i just need to clean it."
     "ok," he said with a nod.