ss

prom au :))

the sign read: will you go to prom with me spaghetti head? in big capital letters.
eddie stomach filled with butterflies. "of course richie!" he exclaimed excitedly, blushing madly.
richie grinned as well; this was his chance to finally confess his feelings to eddie.
     the two boys walked home together that night, discussing prom excitedly.
     "it's only two weeks away," eddie told richie. "we'll have to find tuxedos soon."
    richie nodded along. "are we gonna match?" he asked.
     "uh, duh," eddie giggled, slipping his hand into richie's.
     that's what made richie confused; eddie was very affectionate, but he wasn't sure if it was just to him and him alone. he was scared to ask the rest of the loser's club; afraid that they'd begin questioning things they shouldn't.
     but richie squeezed eddie's hand in his, enjoying the moment while it lasted.

     it was the night of prom, and richie was feeling more and more nervous with each passing moment. right now, he was driving to prom with eddie in the passenger seat of his mustang. he wanted to confess now, but he couldn't bring himself to do so. he didn't want to ruin this night for eddie.
     "you ok 'chee?" eddie asked him, enjoying spending all this extra time with richie.
     richie fiddled with his maroon tie; the one that matched eddie's. "yeah eds, i'm fine," richie quietly reassured his friend. "just a little nervous."
     "how come?"
     richie paused, panicking slightly. "uhh..."
     "scared your gonna drop it too hard and rip your pants?" eddie joked.
     richie snorted. "you know it spaghetti."
     eddie groaned. "don't call me that 'chee, you know i hate it."
     richie chuckled as they pulled into the school parking lot, and he followed eddie into the school gym, sweating bullets.
     "don't fuck this up, don't fuck this up," richie muttered under his breath.
     "come on, let's find our friends and take a group picture!" eddie said, grabbing richie's sweaty hand in his so they wouldn't be separated.
     richie held eddie's hand tightly in his, trying to take a deep breath.
they found their friends after a few minutes of searching; they were all dancing in the middle of the gymnasium floor.
eddie went to grab them, leaving richie standing alone. he took in a shuddering gasp, quickly forcing a smile when eddie turned back around.
eddie skipped back over to richie. "come on!"
     he followed the six to the photo booth, wrapping his arm around eddie's shoulder before the flash went off.
     each of them grabbed their own photo before heading off in separate directions.
richie and eddie walked around a little bit, dancing to the music. richie grabbed eddie's hand and spun him around.
eddie giggled, placing both of his hands against richie's chest.
     tell him now! richie's mind screamed, but panic overtook him.
"richie what's wrong?" eddie asked almost immediately.
"i uhh, nothing... just give me a minute." richie rushed towards the bathroom.
richie braced himself over a sink, sweating bullets. he was so stupid, of course eddie didn't like him back. eddie had standards.
richie stood there gasping; eddie walked in, took one look at richie's face, then immediately locked the bathroom door behind him.
he walked over to richie, and cupped his sweaty face in his hands. "what's wrong? and don't say nothing, you've been acting off all night. are you sick? do you want to go home?"
richie shook his head no, not trusting himself to speak.
eddie wet a paper towel in the sink, dabbing richie's forehead. "it's ok," eddie whispered calmingly.
richie couldn't help but softly smile; eddie had no idea what was going on, but here he was, promising him that it'd be ok.
richie pulled him into a sudden hug. eddie let out a surprised gasp, but gladly hugged him back.
"do you want to talk about it?" eddie asked him.
richie nodded. "promise you won't get mad first?" he held out his pinky finger.
eddie wrapped his around richie's. "i promise."
"i like you," richie blurted out.
"i like you too," eddie giggled. "if i didn't, i don't think we'd be best friends."
richie looked down at him with large, tear filled eyes. "no eds. you don't understand. i like like you."
eddie's smile slowly fell, realization taking over. "o-oh, really?"
richie's heart was hammering in his throat; he managed to nod his head.
eddie was struck into silence. his best friend liked him back. he didn't know how to respond. honestly, he was waiting for the punchline.
wrapped up in his own thoughts, eddie hadn't even noticed richie sink down to the floor, in a faint-like trance with tears pouring down his face at an alarming rate.
when eddie snapped back to reality
(oh, there goes gravity)
he saw richie on the floor, limp with tears streaming down his face.
"richie!" he cried in shock and fear, immediately kneeling down next to him.
"please don't- hate me," richie gasped quietly.
eddie tugged richie into his lap, smoothing his curly hair and holding him tightly. "i don't hate you, i could never hate you, ok 'chee? not in a million years. i'm sorry, it was just a lot to process." he pressed his lips to richie's temple.
eddie continued to cradle richie to his chest, even after his sobs had stopped.
richie sat curled on top of eddie, his arms hanging loosely around the other boy's neck.
"are you ok?" eddie asked richie, rubbing his back gently.
richie shrugged, burying his face in eddie's neck.
"come on, will you let me drive us home?" eddie asked.
richie nodded. "will you stay tonight?"
eddie smiled richie's favorite smile- not that he disliked any of them- and agreed. "of course."
he stood up, offering his hand to richie, who gladly accepted.
they walked out to the mustang together; richie handed eddie the keys.
eddie slid into the drivers seat this time; richie in the passenger.
eddie suddenly pecked richie on the cheek. "i like like you too richie," he whispered.
richie's heart soared in his chest. "you do? truly?"
eddie nodded. "i truly do," he told richie.