ooo

we hit 7 thousand reads thank you guys!

"be safe eddie bear!" eddie's mother called after him. "the roads are icy!"
she was met with an eye roll. "mommy, we'll be safe. richie's been driving since he was fifteen. that's almost three years."
"i know." sonja cupped her son's face in her hands. "i just don't want anything to happen to you!"
eddie opened his mouth to give a (probably) snarky retort, but was cut off by a horn outside.
"he's here, i'll see you later mommy!" he cried, running out the front door.
"i love you!" sonja called, but her son was already long gone.
eddie slid into the passenger seat of richie's deep red mustang and pecked him on the cheek.
"are you ready... to see... the worlds greatest... ice skating rink?" he asked eddie in one of his many voices.
eddie giggled. "i am... but i don't really know how to ice skate. you'll have to teach me."
richie looked over at eddie smiling admirably.
"eyes on the road loverboy," eddie joked.
"oh, eds," richie said, seemingly downhearted. "if only you knew how hard it was for me to pry my eyes from you!"
eddie snorted, dissolving into full blown laughter.
"i'm trying to have a moment with you!" richie cried, beginning to laugh as well.
     "well, you can have one with your eyes on the road!" he laughed. "where are we going anyway?"
     "there's this huge lake in the mountains that freeze over every year, it's so pretty and it's a lot of fun! you'll love it!"
"the mountains?" eddie squeaked; the words from his mother about icy roads bounced around in his brain.
"uhh, yeah," richie said, sounding slightly taken aback at how tense eddie had become.
"what if it's icy? what- what if we slide?" eddie asked, panic quickly taking over.
richie grinned. "what, like this?" he asked, swerving back and forth across the narrow road.
"richie stop!" eddie cried, his voice breaking. "that's not funny!"
richie was laughing, hard. "oh relax. you're just a bit nervous!"
he looked over at eddie, who was clutching the leather seat and had his eyes scrunched up tightly. he was pale and shaky.
richie's face immediately fell. "oh... i'm sorry eds," he whispered quietly, an unusual trait for him.
eddie forced one eye open, glaring at eddie. "s'okay."
they road along in silence.
"just another few minutes eds, then we'll be there!" richie told the other boy excitedly.
eddie smiled softly, not wanting richie to think he was still upset, even if he was. "yay!"
the car suddenly jerked across the road. eddie gave a yelp of surprise.
"that's not fucking funny richie!" he cried as the car began sliding backwards. backwards, down the mountain.
"i-i hit ice! eddie was do i do?!" richie cried in panic.
     eddie's throat nearly closed. "ri-richie, i-i don't know!" he cried.
     the back wheels slipped off the edge of the road, and the car lurched dangerously into the wooded holler.
     eddie gave out a soft cry. "richie... i'm scared," he moaned.
     "it's gonna be ok, hold on." richie punched the gas.
     the branch that had caught richie's car in the first place gave a loud snap, and richie's mustang began flipping down the steep mountain.
     seven times they flipped on the way down.
     on the first flip, richie headbutted the steering wheel, and he passed out instantly. eddie let out a violent scream of terror.
     on the second flip, richie's body went completely limp. eddie's head hit the roof, and his neck gave a sickening crack.
     on the third flip, eddie saw only blackness with spurts of red, which almost looked like blood.
     on the fourth flip, eddie fumbled and unlocked his seatbelt. he didn't know why. he didn't even process doing it.
     on the fifth flip, he flew out the front windshield.
by the sixth flip, eddie kaspbrak was very much dead.
on the seventh flip, the car finally settled between a gnarled oak tree and a boulder. the wheels faced to the sky, and richie sat in the car, suspended by his seatbelt. eddie laid nearly thirty yards from the car, draped across a small, frozen stream.
when richie awoke nearly two hours later, his first thought was eddie. where was he? was he ok?
his second thought was about what happened. what had happened? all he could remember was hitting an icy patch.
     he unbuckled himself, catching himself before he could completely fall to the roof.
    he fumbled to open the door, then slid out. he dropped about five feet to the solid ground; his knees nearly gave out from under him.
     "eddie!" he tried to call out, but his voice barely rose about a whisper.
     "eddie!?" his voice cracked.
     he began walking, not realizing how cold it was until he saw his breath fogging up in from of him.
     he ran his hands through his hair, just trying to remember.
     his fingers came back bloody. "what?" he gasped to himself.
     gingerly, he poked his forehead, wincing when he felt the giant cut that ran from the middle of his hairline to his eyebrow.
however, he didn't feel any pain. he didn't overthink it though, he needed to find eddie.
he began walking through the frozen, snow-covered woods, shouting for his boyfriend.
when his eyes laid on his broken and bloody boyfriend, he finally felt pain, the crippling, guilt-filled kind.
eddie laid there with his eyes open and toward the sky, but they were no longer seeing. his head sat at an odd angle, seeing as his neck had been snapped like a twig durning the cars tumble. blood covered most of eddie's torso as well, because all of the glass from the window had cut into his skin as he was flung from the vehicle.
and as richie's heart broke, a scream bubbled from his lips. it was loud, and broken, and angry. this was all his fault.
a pair of hikers, who richie would later come to know as don and adrian, found him. well, heard him, to be exact.
they took one look at eddie, and quickly whisked richie away, half-dragging, half-carrying the teenager back to their car.
"i killed him!" richie sobbed into adrian's shirt. "it's m-my fault!"
the older man smoothed his hair. "shh, it's not your fault, the roads were icy. it's ok, it's ok." he continued to sooth richie as don used his high-tech walkie-talkie to get in contact with rangers and emt's.

a week later, richie was released from the hospital. he suffered from a concussion, a few broken ribs, and pneumonia. the pain from losing eddie was still sharp and fresh in his mind, and it still hurt.
"he fucking killed my son!"
richie's head shot up, making eye contact with sonja kaspbrak.
doctors and a singular cop were working to hold the whale of a woman back.
richie's eyes filled with tears, and he began to run. he ran to the corner where adrian and don had promised to meet him, to take him away. he wanted to forget, and they understood that.
he slid into the back seat of their sedan. "where are we headed?" he asked breathlessly.
"california bound baby."