w

"hello love," he said warmly.
     "hi richie!" i said, waving and smiling at him through the screen.
     he grinned at me and blushed. "you made it home all right?"
     "yes. thank you-" my sentence was cut short by my mother slamming my door open and storming into my room. i quickly pushed my phone under my pillow, praying richie would stay quiet.
"who are you talking to eddie bear?" she asked me sweetly.
i shrank away from her. she always used that tone when she was about to blow up on me. "nobody mommy," i told her.
"then why do i hear talking, hmm?" she snapped.
"i was just... talking to myself."
"yeah, ok. let me see your phone," she said stiffly, holding out her hand.
i hit the home button as i pulled it out from under my pillow, pausing richie's screen.
my mother wasn't very text savvy, and couldn't tell there was somebody on the line. she handed me back my phone.
     "it better not be another boy, edward, you know how i feel about gays."
     "oh my god mom,-" i was silenced with a harsh smack to the face.
     "oh!" i cried out, gingerly touching my face.
     "was that back talk, edward?" my mother snapped.
     "n-no," i sniffled.
     she smacked me again, harder this time. i could taste blood on my lips.
     "crying makes you weak!" she screamed in my face. "you're fucking worthless!"
     i collapsed on my pillows in sobs as she walked out and slammed the door.
     "eddie?" richie's voice rang out from my phone at the foot of my bed.
     i snatched my phone and clutched it tightly in my hands.
     "rich?" i whimpered.
     "oh my god, eddie, are you ok?" his eyes were wide and his voice was shaky.
     i nodded, still sniffling. i pressed my shirt collar to my lip, in hopes of stoping the blood.
     "you want to come over?" richie asked me.
     "'chee, my mom would never let me out of the house-"
     "sneak out. pack a small bag and sneak over!" he whispered excitedly.
i rolled my eyes, but i didn't want to stay any longer. "what's your address?"
he gave it to me, and i typed it into maps. it was a ten minute walk.
"give me fifteen minutes," i told him.
richie cheered. "yes! this is perfect!"
"bye," i whispered.
i quickly began throwing clothes in a bag, then threw open my window. i jumped.
somehow, i landed on my feet. laughing gleefully to myself, i took off running towards richie's house.
i followed the maps instructions to richie's house, and was shocked to see another boy on his porch.
"oh, hello," i said. "who are you?"
he turned around to look at me, sneering. "connor. and you?" his voice matched the disgusted look on his face.
"eddie," i told the boy, switching my bag from one arm to the other nervously. "why are you here?"
"why am i here?" connor all but snarled. "i'm here because this is my boyfriends house," he said, eying my bag.
"o-oh," i whispered, my heart dropping into my stomach.
"why are you here?" he snapped.
"r-richie invited me to sleep over," i told him quietly.
"you're not allowed to sleep over, he's my boyfriend, not yours."
"i- won't you let him have friends?" i asked incredulously.
     he scoffed. "why should i?"
     i gaped at him, shocked. "he-he needs more then just you-"
     "wait a minute, you're the bitch who went out with richie tonight!"
     i gasped, offended. "you're the one that stood him up!" i cried.
     "oh my god," the boy groaned. "he's so annoying. and so are you!"
     i didn't know how to respond, and i still said nothing as he walked closer to me. he pushed me to the ground.
     "hey!" i yelled out, more in surprise then anything else.
     "he doesn't like you," connor spat at me. he straddled my waist. "try not to make a lot of noise, ok?"
     "wha-"
     i was cut off by his fist slamming across my face.
     i cried out in pain, grasping my face in my hand.
     he swung again, hitting my nose now. i could feel blood running down both my cheeks.
     i struggled under connor's weight as he punched me again.
     blood filled my mouth, and i weakly spit it out, coughing as it ran back down my throat.
     "connor! connor, stop! get off him!"
i could hear richie's voice screaming somewhere in the back of my head.
     the weight on top of me was suddenly gone, and i could finally take a deep breath.
     "stay the fuck away from him connor! what the fuck is wrong with you!"
     "me?! you're the one cheating on me!"
     "we broke up!"
     "over the phone!" connor screamed.
     i heard what sounded like a solid smack across the face, but i was too weak to open my eyes.
     "stay the fuck away from me and eddie!" richie snarled.
     "fine!" i heard connor snarl as he stomped away.
     "eddie?!" richie's worried voice asked from somewhere above me.
     "rich?" i asked shakily. "what just happened?"
     "my crazy ass ex tried to fucking kill you," richie told me, his voice shaking with rage.
     "are you ok though?" i asked, trying to clear the fog in my brain.
     "me? eds, you're the one who's bleeding!" he cried.
     i was finally able to open my eyes. richie was looking down at my with tear-filled eyes.
     "hey don't cry," i breathed,  cupping his face in with my hand and wiping underneath his eyes.
     "eds let me get you inside," richie pleaded.
     "it's ok. i'm fine. i just need a minute."
      i took a deep breath before pushing myself up with my arms. i felt richie's arm around my shoulder, helping me remain upright.
"come on, eds, he might come back!" richie urged.
"i know, i know," i whispered, pushing myself up to my feet.
     i stumbled, but richie caught me around the waist.
     he pulled me into a hug; i tried not to wince as my bruised cheek pressed against richie's collarbone.
     "it's ok now," i whispered, hugging him.
     "it's not me i'm worried about."