lll

the fallen and the falling    (lowkey good omens)

eddie spread his snow-white wings behind his back, sheltering the curly-headed boy behind him, who sported sleek, black wings.
"oh, richie, are you ok?" eddie asked, quickly folding his wings back up.
richie followed suit, gasping for breath. "angel, something-something's happening," he gasped.
eddie rolled his eyes. "how many times do i have to tell you not to call me that?"
"ang- eddie, i'm behind serious! something bad is fixing to happen!"
eddie's soft smirk fell. "l-like what?" he breathed.
"he- satan- he's coming!" richie shrieked, curling in tighter on himself.
eddie's heart hammered unevenly in his chest. richie couldn't be right, could he?
but then the ground gave a mighty rumble, and the ground began to split open. trees were overturned and dust billowed upwards as the ground caved in on itself.
     eddie stood defiantly in front of richie, and unfolded his wings once more.
     satan arose.
"eddie, go!" richie screamed over the roaring in his head. "he'll kill you!"
eddie turned back to richie. "i can't leave you," the angel whispered with tears in his eyes.
     richie's eyes pleaded with eddie's. "please," he begged raggedly.
     eddie shook his head violently. "no." he turned back to satan, who was towering over the angel and the demon. 
     satan turned his ugly, wrinkled head towards eddie, and pointed his finger at him. "you," he wheezed as if dust coated his lungs.
     eddie nodded his head, confused, but kept up his act of being unafraid. "me."
     "you- are- unworthy- of your- angelic- powers," the head of demons hissed.
"and why is that?" eddie contradicted.
"because, you've done something- no angel- has ever done- before!"
eddie's words faltered. satan couldn't possibly know about that, could he?
"you- are in love- with a- demon!"
"no!" eddie screamed; it echoed back at him through the forest. "no, i'm not."
"you lie- a lot- for an- angel!" the monster snarled. "just- you- wait- until god hears- about- this."
"you wouldn't!" eddie screamed.
satan chuckled. "oh, but i would. you're gonna fall."
eddie dissolved into tears as satan climbed back down to hell, where he belonged.
"eds-"
"no, no, no! he can't- i can't fall- richie," the small angel gasped, crumpling to the forest floor.
richie fell to his knees beside eddie. "angel, eds, just breathe honey, it's ok. everything will be ok!"
     eddie collapsed into richie's embrace. "i-i love you. i'm sorry! i didn't know they knew! i never meant to cause problems! i'm sorry i'm such a mess! i-"
     richie cut eddie's rambling off by placing his hand over eddie's mouth. "i love you too angel."
     eddie's face broke into a calm smile. "oh thank go- whoever."
     richie chuckled, and placed his forehead against the angel's.
     suddenly, the sky filled with a bright light, blinding the two traitors.
     "stop! you've violated the law!" god's powerful voice rang out.
     eddie clutched richie's shirt tightly in his fists, stretching out the neck and nearly ripping through it. "no no no-"
     "you no longer belong to heaven!" with a snap of the almighty's fingers, a sharp pain, worse than eddie had ever felt before, shot across eddie's body.
he let out an inhuman shriek as fire seemed to scorch its way across the angel's back.
     richie pulled him into his arms, sinking to the ground. "breathe angel, it's only going to last a few minut-"
     eddie cut richie off with a harsh sob, his back arching off the ground. "richie," he breathed, his eyes rolling up in the back of his head.
     "it'll all be over soon," richie told eddie calmly. "i promise!"
     eddie continued to sob as the fire spread, and his once snow-white wings turned an ugly, charcoal black.
     "ok, it's gonna hurt really bad one last time, but then it'll be over, ok?"
     eddie clenched his jaw as the fire spread across his whole body, and then, darkness consumed him.
     richie sat there, staring at eddie, his angel, with tear filled eyes.
     eddie's eyes didn't reopen, so richie gently picked the smaller ang- demon up, and began walking to his bentley.
     he laid eddie on his side in the back seat, and slid behind the wheel. he drove back to his flat, carrying eddie into his room and laying him down on his bed.
     eddie awoke about an hour later, shooting straight up without much thought, but quickly cried out at the sharp pain that shot across his back.
     richie ran into the room. "angel? are you ok?"
     tears immediately filled eddie's eyes, and richie clapped his hands over his mouth.
     eddie gave a forced laugh. "i guess you can't call me that anymore, huh?"
     richie sat down beside his fellow demon, and carefully placed his arm around eddie's shoulders.
     eddie sat stiffly for a moment before break down.
     richie quickly wrapped his other arm around eddie, who buried his face into richie's chest, sobbing hard.
     richie ran his fingers through eddie's soft, silky hair, whispering soft, kind words.
     eddie sobbed until he ran out of tears, yet richie didn't move at all. he held his best friend for six thousand years tightly in his arms, wishing he could take away all his pain.
     eddie cried himself to sleep, and richie tucked him back into bed as he had done a few hours earlier.
     as soon as he felt it safe enough to leave eddie alone, he went straight to headquarters. he stopped at the front desk.
     "i need to talk to god."
     "but you're a demon."
     richie curled his lip in disgust. "does it look like i give a fuck?"

     "what do you mean, 'it's for the best'?!" richie screamed accusingly at the almighty.
     god smiled down at the demon softly. "i know you think i did this out of spite, but i did this so he could be with you," they explained. "he loves you, he really does. please, go love him so i didn't make a mistake."
     richie nodded. the almighty snapped their fingers, and richie was suddenly back in his flat.
     he walked into the bedroom; eddie was still asleep. richie shook his shoulder.
     "huh?" eddie asked, blinking confusedly.
     "i love you," richie whispered before crushing his lips to the newly fallen.