qq

richie stared at eddie, his mouth agape. eddie was absolutely beautiful. but richie didn't even notice the tears in eddie's eyes, or the blush spread across his whole face, or how horribly eddie seemed to be shaking. all he could do was sit there, staring.

**********

     "bev are you sure about this?" eddie asked her best friend.
     "richie needs to know. he's your boyfriend," bev told her sternly. she looked at eddie's pale face. "it'll be ok. this way you can see his true colors."
     eddie swallowed; she knew bev was right. she was just so scared. she was coming out to her boyfriend as transgender for fucks sake, that wasn't an easy thing to do.
     she sat quietly as bev did her makeup, starting with concealer, and almost thirty minutes later, she finished up with eyebrows.
     "time for the dress!" she cried out, stepping out of her bathroom; eddie followed her out, looking like a lost puppy.
     "stay right there and close your eyes," bev demanded.
    eddie did as she was told, listening to bev shuffle around in her closet.
     "what are you doing?" she asked her meekly.
     "trying to find the perfect dress for you. would you prefer green, red, or black?"
     eddie mulled it over. "red." she finally decided.
     "back to the bathroom," bev announced, turning eddie around before she could open her eyes and see the dress.
     "clothes," bev said, snapping her fingers.
     eddie immediately pulled her clothes off, allowing bev to slide the dress over her head. she stared at the floor as bev zipped up the back, fearing her reflection.
     "what if he doesn't accept me?" eddie whimpered, blinking back her tears so she wouldn't ruin her makeup.
     "eds... he's pansexual, he loves you for you, i know it," bev reassured her friend.
     eddie nodded in agreement, before finally looking in the mirror.
     "holy shit," she gasped. she didn't even notice herself; her usually masculine features were gone. she really looked like a girl.
     the red dress hugged every curve on eddie's body perfectly. it was strapless, showing off her protruding collar bones.
     bev grinned at her, happy eddie was finally able to accept herself.
     "you look beautiful," bev whispered.
     eddie felt her words glue in the back of her throat. "thank you," she squeaked out. 
     bev checked her watch. "richie should be here in five minutes," bev informed eddie.
     eddie's stomach dropped, her chest tightening. she reached for her inhaler, taking a deep breath.
     "i can't do it bev... i can't tell him," she wheezed.
     bev wrapped her arm reassuringly around eddie's shoulders. "would you like me to talk to him for you, i can explain it to him," bev offered.
    eddie nodded her head vigorously. "please- do that," she whispered.
     "i will-" bev was cut off by a knock on her front door. "i'll go get that, ok?"
     eddie quickly shut the bathroom door behind bev, pacing the small room back and forth. she could hear footsteps entering bev's room.
"where's eddie?" richie asked bev.
"oh, eddie'll be here in a few minutes," she reassured him.
"huh, it's not like him to be late," richie mused.
eddie winced; she hated being called by her old pronouns.
"oh," bev laughed, sounding a bit nervous. "you know how eddie's mother is."
richie chuckled along. "so, uhh, why are we here exactly?"
"richie do you know what transgender means?" bev asked him.
"uhh, sure. it means somebody who's switched genders. like they were born a girl at birth but identify as a man. why?"
"do you know the daily struggle they go through? trying to be validated by their own friends and family? imagine being born in the wrong body; you hate yourself every day. you're afraid nobody will accept you for who you truly are."
eddie had her ear pressed against the door, catching every word of their conversation.
"i mean, i've never experienced that first hand, but it sounds like it sucks. why are you asking me this?"
"what would you do if your friend was trans?" bev asked him seriously, no room for jokes in her conversation.
richie gasped. "oh my god bev are you trans?" he cried.
bev almost laughed. almost. "no richie," she reassured him. "but what would you do?"
"i'd accept them," richie said instantly. "who are you asking for?"
"your girlfriend," bev told him, searching his eyes for any hate.
"i have a boyfrie-" richie cut himself off with a gasp. "oh my god eddie," he breathed.
bev got up and opened the bathroom door; eddie nearly fell as she had been leaning so heavily into the door.
eddie slowly walked out to face her boyfriend.
richie stared at eddie, his mouth agape. eddie was absolutely beautiful. but richie didn't even notice the tears in eddie's eyes, or the blush spread across his-her whole face, or how horribly eddie seemed to be shaking. all he could do was sit there, staring.
"aren't you going to say something?" eddie squeaked.
"you- you look beautiful eds," richie breathed. "absolutely stunning."
"you really think so?" eddie asked her boyfriend, blushing.
richie nodded, mouth still agape.
eddie slowly went to sit down beside him.
richie took eddie's hand in his. "so you're trans?"
eddie jerked her head yes.
richie squeezed her hand and pecked her cheek. "you know i'd love and support you no matter what. i don't care what gender you are, as long as you're still my eddie- that is the name you still go by right?"
eddie nodded her head, wrapping her arms around richie. "thanks," she whispered. "i love you so much."
richie hugged his girlfriend back. "i love you too doll," he said, kissing her head.
bev, who had been watching quietly from the corner, smiled to herself, tears pricking her eyes. this was the most intimate moment she'd ever seen between two people. her heart burst with happiness.
eddie had begun to sob in richie's arms, more than happy with his acceptance. all she could seem to say was "i love you" and "thank you" over and over again like a broken record.
richie sat there, holding eddie tightly, reassuring her that he'd love her no matter what.
bev longed for a love like that one day.