bbbbb

eddie sat absentmindedly at the top of the quarry. his feet dangled over the edge, but he wasn't going to jump. not today, at least, since his friends weren't there. they all had something to do, ranging from homework to chores. plus, eddie wasn't a good or strong swimmer, so he wasn't going to risk swimming or jumping in anyway.
    the rest of the losers had promised to meet eddie at the quarry as soon as they were done.
     eddie hummed a quiet tune to himself as he waited.
he turned excitedly, a grin plastered across his face, when he finally heard footsteps crunching through the leaves.
his face dropped as the one and only henry bowers stepped into eddie's view.
     eddie quickly stepped back, not realizing he was cornering himself.
     "well howdy, wheezy," henry said dryly.
     "leave me alone, please," eddie said quickly, his words tripping over themselves.
     henry rolled his eyes. "i haven't even done anything yet."
     eddie continued backwards, and henry used this to his advantage, stepping forward.
"it's just-" henry continued. "everybody always thinks i'm just some bad guy." he threw his hands up in the air.
"are they wrong, though?" eddie snapped back, without thinking.
henry gave a vile smile. "no."
he quickly advanced on eddie, who scurried backward. eddie halted as he felt the blood drain from his face as his heels hung over the edge of the cliff.
"oh-" he whimpered, windmilling his arms around.
henry barreled towards him, and eddie jumped off the top of the quarry.
eddie felt like he was falling forever. he fell backwards, and he watched and henry leapt from the top. they made eye contact, and time seemed to stand still.
     that was until the icy water overtook eddie. he gasped, and his lungs filled with the disgusting, dirty water. he weakly paddled to the surface, choking and gagging.
just as he felt he was catching his breath, a strong pair of hands grasped his shoulders and pushed him under.
     he screamed, and water flooded his lungs yet again. this time, he couldn't resurface.
     eddie struggled in vain as his vision blackened.
     finally, henry pulled him up. eddie gagged, throwing water up as he sobbed and wheezed.
     "wow, this is fun!" henry exclaimed, pushing eddie back down into the water.
     this time, eddie didn't have the energy to flail and kick. water filled his lungs again; black spots filled his vision.
henry finally lifted him up again. eddie's head lolled backwards and he attempted to blink back into reality.
     "please... stop," eddie raspily gasped, spitting up water.
     henry huffed, but eddie wasn't putting up a good enough fight. "fine!" he muttered.
     henry dropped eddie into the water, wading out. eddie thrashed around before finally finding his footing. water gushed from his mouth and nose, mixed with vomit and snot.
he crawled out of the water on hands and knees, shaking. he finally collapsed onto his back, still halfway in the water.
eddie's lungs burned; he couldn't breathe. he stared up into the bright blue sky as black spots overtook his vision and he passed out.

richie, finally done with his school work and ready to see his best friend, threw on his swim suit and all but ran to the quarry.
when he reached the top and didn't see eddie, a sinking feeling struck him. he hated the idea that another one of the losers beat him to eddie. his eddie.
with a sigh, he stepped to the edge, prepared to jump down to eddie and whichever other of his friends where down there.
with a deep breath to calm himself, the first jump was always the scariest, he glanced down.
"oh fuck!" he screamed in shock, stumbling backwards.
"eddie? eds are you ok?" he shouted as he inched his way back to the ledge.
"fuckkkk," he muttered to himself, leaping into the water.
richie shot up from the chilly water, coughing and spluttering, swimming as fast as he could over to eddie.
"eddie!" he shouted as he got closer. "eds?! what happened?"
     richie stumbled over to his small friend, kneeling down beside him. gently, he took eddie's head and placed it in his lap.
     richie moved eddie's wet hair away from his face and checked his post. thankfully, it was strong and steady.
     richie softly shook eddie's shoulders. the boy stirred before his eyes fluttered open.
     eddie's scream echoed loudly and shrilly through the trees and both boys leapt away in shock from the sudden noise.
    eddie clapped his hand over his face in what seemed to be embarrassment as he slowly processed what was happening. shaking and gasping, eddie flopped back down and closed his eyes.
    "eds," richie whispered. "what happened? are you ok?"
     "can i have a hug 'chee? please?" was eddie's very weak and quiet reply.
     richie quickly closed the distance between him and eddie, cradling the small boy in his arms.
     "eds, what happened? are you ok?" richie asked.
     "i was waiting for you," eddie whispered. "i was really hoping you'd be the first one to show up, so it could be just me and you for a little while.
     "i heard footsteps, and i got excited. but then henry bowers showed up out of nowhere. he-he cornered me and i fell- i couldn't reach and he held me under the water. i couldn't breathe- richie i was so scared... i thought i was gonna die. i thought i was never going to see you again. richie i-"
     eddie broke down into hysterics as richie held him tightly.
     "oh my god eddie that's so fucked up. i'm so sorry he did that to you. can i do anything to help?"
     eddie shrugged his shoulders, burying his face into richie's chest. "sorry," he mumbled pitifully.
     richie hugged eddie tightly. "you didn't do anything wrong. everything's ok and i'm right here. ok?"
     eddie nodded slowly. "ok. thank you." he allowed a small smile.
     richie thought for a moment. "well, you seem pretty burnt out on swimming for the day. how about my house for some video games?" he offered.
eddie nodded. "ok. let's get out of here please."
richie nodded and stood up. "come on bubs, let's go."
eddie stood shakily beside richie, leaning close to the taller boy. "thanks."