23. It's Not Fair

"Well, right now, I run a youth center downtown."

    Type felt his heart drop to his stomach. He hurt for all the possible victims there could be. Kids go to a youth center to have fun and get help, but he was doing the complete opposite.

    Type felt a sickness rise inside him. He wanted to drag Max out of the house and beat him to death, but knew, in the end, that he couldn't risk his secret to come out.

    He knew he should have told his parents when it happened, and nothing was stopping him now. Nothing but his embarrassment and disgust for himself.

    Tharn was there and made him feel better, but what could possibly happen to Max all these years later?

    Type grasped Tharn's hand tightly under the table. He needed him now more than ever.

    "Oh, Max. That is wonderful. You've always been so good with children." Type's mother said with a wide and loving smile.

    Max laughed. "Thank you. It's hard, but in the end, they begin to understand." He cleared his throat and adjusted himself in his seat. "One thing I remember correctly was how difficult Type was when he was a kid."

    Type looked down at the dinner table, afraid to look him in the eye.

    "Yes, but you were such a wonderful babysitter. Every time you would come over, he would always force me to give him a bath and make him dress nice." Type mother told him.

    Type closed his eyes, remembering all the things that happened. The certain details he had left out when telling Tharn the story.

    Max laughed, sending shivers through Type. "He was always a good boy."

    "Type, could you show me where the bathroom is?" Tharn asked, standing up from his seat.

    Type sent him and thankful smile and nodded. "We'll be right back."

    Type led Tharn down and hallway and when Tharn felt they were far enough away, he pulled Type to a stop.

    "Type?" Tharn spoke softly. He pulled Type's hand to make him look back at him.

    Type's shoulders shook and Tharn heard quiet sobs.

    Tharn walked forward and wrapped warm and comforting arms around Type from behind.

    "Shh. It's okay. I'm here." Tharn coaxed.

    "It's not fair." Type said shaking his head. "H-how can he sit in there and be fine, but I can't even hold myself together?"

    "Type, look at me." Tharn turned him around. He grabbed the side of Type's face and used his thumbs to wipe the tears. "I am right here. I will always be right here."

    "There are things I never told you." Type admitted.

    Tharn shook his head. "I don't care about what you didn't tell me. I care about what you did tell me. And what you told me was that he is a monster. You need to tell someone, Type. You need to go to the police."

    "Nothing is going to happen to him. Don't you see? It happened years ago and there is not proof that he did anything." Type said shaking his head.

    "Type. Type, look at me." Tharn looked him deep in the eyes. "Please, just do what is right."

    "I can't."

    Tharn sighed and hugged him close. Type pushed his face into the crook of Tharn's neck.

    They stood there for a few moments before Tharn took Type into the bathroom and washed his face with cold water.

    When Type looked more presentable, they made their way back to the dinner table.

    Type avoided anything that had to do with Max for the rest of the dinner. He picked at his food most of the night and didn't really eat.

    Tharn kept Type's hand in his, comforting him and much as possible.

    When dinner was over, Tharn and Type left as quick as they could. Type's mother said she wished they could stay longer, but understood they had a long drive.

    The whole drive home Type stared out the window. He didn't acknowledge Tharn but he understood. He was in deep thought and needed that time to himself.

    That night, Type laid in bed, wrapped tightly in Tharn's arms. He wrapped his whole body around him in return. He needed all of him touching him tonight. Then and only then could he possibly close his eyes long enough to drift off into sleep.

__________

Thoughts on this chapter?