Chapter 20

Clementine and the rest were still in the cell. Leslie left a while ago and said she'll come back soon. That was an hour ago and Clementine and the rest are sitting in the cells trying to pass time. Clem and AJ were sitting next to each other, Violet was sitting next to them looking at nothing, Aasim decided to take a nap, and Louis was crouched down and messing with the cell door trying to open it but to no avail. AJ then turns to Clem.

AJ: "Are they gonna kill us?" He asks Clem.

Clem looks at AJ.

Clem: "No they're not, AJ. I won't let them."

She puts her arm around him and he lays on to her.

Louis: "Shit."

They hear Louis say.

Louis: "Almost had it." He whispered.

He kept screwing with the handle with a paper clip he found but his clumsy ass kept dropping it. Violet had enough of him trying and failing to open the door.

Violet: "Louis."

She called out to him but he didn't respond.

Violet: "Louis!"

He stops and turns to look at her.

Violet: "Cut the shit. You know you can't open it so stop."

Louis sighed and stood up and walked over to the wall and leaned on it.

Louis: "What are we supposed to do? We can't just stay here and do nothing."

Violet: "This isn't our home so we have to play by their rules. I don't think they would like it if some moron kept messing with their shit."

Louis: "What if they're gonna kill us?"

Violet: "She just said she put us here to protect us so sit down and shut up!"

Louis: "Exactly,"protect us" that means we're in danger and they have us here like sitting ducks."

Clem: "Louis!"

He turns and looks at Clem.

Clem: "Cut it out. Just sit tight until they tell us something."

He tried to retort but just stayed quiet.

After a few minutes of sitting silently the door to the room opens and Leslie walks in holding a box. Clem stands up and sets down a sleeping AJ gently on the floor. She goes up to the cell and puts her hands on the bars.

Clem: "How long are you gonna keep us in here for?"

Leslie: "Until the other leader comes back."

Clem: "And where is the other leader?"

Leslie: "He's out right now, but he should be coming back soon. So in the meantime, here."

She hands Clem a bag and Clem takes it. Clem looks inside the bag and sees there's food inside of it.

Leslie: "You guys want some?"

She asks the rest of the kids. They all get up and approach the cell and are handed a bag of food. AJ is woken up and goes to get a bag for himself.

AJ: "Thank you, miss."

He says to Leslie once she hands him a bag.

Leslie: "No problem." She says to him with a slight smile.

Clem: "Hey."

Leslie turns to Clem.

Clem: "Can you at least tell us what you're "protecting us" from?"

Leslie: "I'd honestly prefer if you'd see for yourselves but.....I don't know if I'll be able to calm him down."

Clem: "Who?"

Leslie: "Y/-"

The door opens and Mary walks in.

Mary: "Leslie, the walkie talkie is done charging. Joseph is trying to get a hold of him right now.

Leslie: "Thanks, I'll be there in a sec."

Mary nods and closes the door behind her as she leaves.

Leslie: "I have to go. Enjoy the food."

She picks up the box and leaves the room. Once she's out she sets the box down and walks over to Mary's house. She enters and sees Joseph sitting on the couch while on the walkie talkie with Y/N. He sees Leslie come in and stands up from the couch.

Joseph: "She's right here." He says into the walkie talkie.

He hands Leslie the walkie talkie and she takes it and presses down on the button to speak.

Leslie: "Hello?"

Y/N: "Leslie."

Leslie: "Where are you?"

Y/N: "I'm not sure, I'm pretty far from Sunset but I'm trying to come back."

Leslie: "Why are you far away? What happened?"

Y/N: "Walkers happened. I got what I needed but I just need to lose them. It's not as easy as it sounds."

Leslie holds the walkie talkie in her hand but says nothing. She closes her eyes and starts breathing heavily.

Y/N: "Hey, Leslie? You still there?"

She opens her eyes again and regains her composure.

Leslie: "Yeah...I'm here."

Y/N: "Listen, don't worry...I'll be fine. I found some people so I have help. I promise I'll make it back."

Leslie: "Okay."

Y/N: "Good. I have to go."

Leslie: "Wait, Y/N."

Y/N: "What?"

Leslie: "There are new people here."

Y/N: "Okay, I'll help you deal with them when I come back."

Leslie: "They're not just any random people though."

Y/N: "What do you mean?

Leslie: "Y/N it's Cle-"

She hears static from the radio and starts hearing growls. Then she hears a person in the background yell out "Walkers!".

Y/N: "Shit....I...got...go.....I...love...yo...

The radio cuts off and it goes silent. No more static...nothing. Leslie panics and starts hitting the radio to make it work.

Leslie: "Y/N? Y/N!"

Mary and Joseph stood there watching and get worried for Leslie.

Mary: "You okay? What happened?"

Leslie: "It cut off."

She sets the radio down on the table and she sits down on the couch while putting her hands on her face. Mary sits down next to her and puts her arm around Leslie, pulling her into an embrace.

Mary: "It's okay, Leslie. He'll be okay."

Leslie leans into her embrace and Mary hears her sniffles. Mary looks up at Joseph in worry.

Joseph: "I'll go out with a group later to try and find him."

Mary nods and Joseph walks out of the house.

Mary: "Leslie? Honey?"

Leslie: "I can't lose him, Mary. I can't."

She says through a soft cry. Mary hugs her tighter while slowly rocking her.

Mary: "You won't, Leslie. He's strong, he'll make it."