[40]

T: are you awake?

I: yeah, why?

T: meet me at the rooftop.

I: right now?

T: yes.

I: I can't.

T: not my rooftop, yours.

I: oh... Right.

***

Irina shut down her laptop after sending a few emails to Lex's former business partners. After her father's death, the whole burden of LexCorp had fallen on Irina and her aunt. And the fact that Lex had ruined their reputation by going against the city was proving to be a great trouble for them now.

No one wanted to work with LexCorp anymore and the press had as usual made a huge fuss out of the whole scenario by dragging down Lena and Irina as well just because the two belonged to the Luthor family.

But in that time of need, the Waynes had stood by them and proven to be a firm support.

LexCorp had been divided among the partners in order to recompensate for the shares they had invested with Lex. Only a few departments remained which included Irina and Thomas' department as well as those that were operating under Lena.

Upon Tim's suggestion, the remaining departments had come together to form a company of their own, renamed as LCorp in which the L stood for Luthor and the company was affiliated with Wayne Tech itself. Lena wanted to clear the family name and take a fresh start with LCorp along with her niece. And though things were difficult at first, they had gradually started to adjust with time.

Her phone vibrated as a text gleamed on the screen, Tim's contact flashing vividly: are you awake?

Yeah, why?

Seconds after, he replied: meet me at the rooftop.

Right now?

Yes.

She sighed wearily, resting her head back at the couch. She couldn't meet him at the rooftop like she used to earlier. Because before it had only been possible with her operating as a vigilante. But after recent events, she had decided never to put on her suit again. Besides her mask and escrima sticks had been damaged as well, and had probably gotten lost among the debris.

With a heavy heart, she typed back: I can't.

Not my rooftop, yours.

Irina was a little surprised to see that text but replied shortly: oh... Right.

Gathering up her stuff, she placed her laptop and files on the table, slipping her feet into her casual shoes and grabbed a shawl as well for it could get chilly on the roof at night.

She glanced at the clock; it was striking half past two. The oddity of the hour slightly perturbed her nevertheless she stepped out of her room, shutting the door gently behind her. 

The Luthor Mansion was silent as she climbed up the stairs that led to the rooftop. Lena had gone to bed at her usual time and even Miss Gibson had retreated to her own portion.

Silently, she turned open the lock in the door and stepped out, the chilly night air brushing against her.

She hugged the shawl closer to herself, looking out for Tim in the dark but he was nowhere in sight.