[60]

Steph: you know what Cass, I think the beach picnic is going to be a great event for you to practice your photography.

Cassie: ah, that's a great idea.

Helena: make sure to get really cute pictures so that we all remember the good times.

Barbara: true. It's a great motivation to get through the bad times.

***

The Wayne family was assembled in the garage, piling up the picnic stuff into their cars. Irina and Helena had joined them there and Tim had also invited his friend Mathias who was running a little late. Connor and Jon were also there, loading their stuff into the back of Dami's car.

Soon enough, Mathias turned up as well holding a small basket and a beach ball.

"Yes, you came!" Tim hugged his friend Mathias enthusiastically, a wide grin playing on his face, "and guess who you're going to meet today?"

He had placed an arm around Connor's broad frame, pulling him along as well.

"Connor Kent?" Mathias guessed, "Tim's first partner in crime, I suppose."

"Damn right," Connor shook hands with him as a welcoming smile graced his features.

"Mathias Lawrence," he introduced himself.

"Who happens to be Tim's second partner in crime," Tim remarked.

"Great to meet you at last, Mathias."

"Same here. And you can call me Matt for short."

Connor had started to chat up with Mathias and since he was a very talkative guy, he found it easier to adjust around him by talking to him. The two figured that they would get along well for soon after Connor had given him a fist bump at which Tim's eyes widened slightly.

"Oh, the fist bump already?"

"Partner in crime 1 and 2 felt the need to bond," Connor remarked, grinning at him, "and turns out that you were right. I do enjoy Matt's company."

An approving expression took over Tim as he nodded, "see, I knew you too would get along. This picnic is going to be awesome, I can tell already."

Damian who was passing close by gave them a stern glare, "stay away from me and Jon though."

His eyes were sparking mischievously but he nodded anyways, "sure thing, bro."

In the meanwhile, Tim had to leave in order to check whether the picnic baskets had been loaded into the car or not, leaving Mathias in Connor's company. The two were cracking jokes by then, their fist bumps had turned into high fives as they chuckled together, enjoying each other's sense of humor.

Soon after Tim returned but he was accompanied by Irina, and seeing her with him, Mathias straightened out of habit.

"Oh Mathias is here too," Irina smiled at him brightly.

"Good morning, Ma'am," despite himself, his reply was instinctively formal, tailored as such due to routine.

Connor stuffed his palm over his mouth observing the sudden behavioral shift in his newfound friend.

"Good morning," she replied softly, "and it's okay, you're not at work so you don't have to address me as Ma'am or Miss Luthor or whatever. Just think of me as a friend."

"Of course," he nodded with the same politeness but then added honestly, "I'll try."

"Damn Irina, you've really scared off your department a lot," Connor remarked, slightly chuckling, "look at the poor bloke, he went through a whole 180 degree change by just your presence here."