2

LOVE AND WAR
— 2. Legitimacy

 Legitimacy

It didn't take long for them to arrive in London. When they did, they rode through the castle gates. They were instantly greeted by those loyal to House York.

Nora tried not to tear up, glancing around to see not a single person she knew. The castle used to be her home, yet she knew nobody there. The place was familiar, but the people weren't. Not in the slightest.

None of them were Lancasters. They were Yorks. She'd have to get used to that if she wanted to survive the coming years.

The Yorks would surely remain in power. Nora's mother already made the smart choice of switching to the winning side, she'd surely have to do the same.

She noticed the way Edward looked at her. He had taken a liking to her. If it stayed that way, she'd be able to survive during her stay in the lion's den that had once been her childhood home. The place she grew up, the place where she was born.

The entire time she was traveling with the York army, she shared a horse with Edward. Edward had sat behind her, his hand over hers as she grasped the reins. His free hand, however, he had remained on her waist the entire time, despite it not being necessary.

She had glanced at him every once in a while, giving him a curious look. He'd smile back, saying nothing as if he had no clue why she was giving him such a look.

Once their horse came to a stop, Edward had let go of his hold on Nora. He climbed off the horse and despite the people in the courtyard bowing to him, his undivided attention remained on Nora.

He held his arms outwards, insisting on helping her down.

"I can climb off on my own, you know," She pointed out and Edward smiled.

"Perhaps, but I insist," he answered, causing Nora to sigh as she grabbed onto Edward's shoulders.

He helped her down, only letting go when her feet were touching the ground. He handed the horse over to a stable boy, just before he began to make his way through the courtyard, bringing Nora along with him.

"If you will be remaining here, there's a few people you must meet first," He informed her and Nora had the feeling he meant his brother.

She heard stories about the brothers of York. Richard wasn't all that bad, she had heard. He was the youngest of the brothers. He didn't speak much and was the one most loyal to his brother, the king.

George, on the other hand, was the middle brother and his mother's favorite. He was colder, meaner than his brothers. His loyalties were sometimes questioned and Nora knew she'd have to be wary of him, just like she'd have to be cautious when it came to Lord Warwick and his family.