14

LOVE AND WAR
— 14. Consummation

     Edward laid in Nora's bed, nothing but a sheet covering his nude body

     Edward laid in Nora's bed, nothing but a sheet covering his nude body. He looked forward, smiling as he watched Nora search through her box of poisons and elixirs. "And what is it you're looking for this time, my love?" He found himself asking her out of curiosity.

    Slowly, Nora turned to face him, holding up a small bottle containing a mixture of herbs. She walked up to him, still naked. She climbed onto the bed, holding up the vial. She held it out to Edward, who immediately took it from her grasp and began to eye it. "What is its contents?" He asked, turning to give her a questioning look.

"It stops pregnancy," She admitted, earning a concerned look from Edward, "I shall take it with me to Bedford castle, in case I'm unable to return to court before my child is born."

"You will," Edward argued, a determined look on his face.

"You could be sent off to fight in battle once more in the coming months, Edward. Just in case, I do not wish to fall pregnant with his child after our child is born. It's simply a precaution," She explained and Edward nodded his head in understanding.

"What kind of dress will you be wearing to your wedding?" Edward questioned, only to watch as a mischievous smile formed on Nora's lips.

"You'll just have to wait and see," Nora answered, leaning forward to kiss Edward.

Edward smiled, cupping Nora's face in his hands. "Whatever it is, I dare say you'll look exquisite," He admitted and Nora began to smile, "Like a queen, fit for a king."

"You don't know the half, my love," She whispered to him softly, Edward not even knowing the true reasoning behind her words.

Nora pulled away from Edward, lying on her side next to him. "Can we trust your sister to keep our secret?" She asked, a concerned look on her face.

Edward nodded. "Yes, we can. Margaret knows what would happen if people learned too early on about this secret marriage." He explained and Nora smiled, choosing to believe him.

Nora sighed in defeat, remaining silent as she began to think about what was on the verge of happening the following day. "Do I at least get to meet this husband of mine before the wedding?" She found herself asking, a concerned look on her face.

A sympathetic look on his face, Edward shook his head.

"Can you at least tell me what he's like?" She asked uneasily and Edward sighed.

"I haven't seen him since I was a child, but I have heard stories about him. He's been widowed three times. All his wives supposedly died of plague," Edward explained, causing Nora to look concerned, "But there's rumors about what truly happened to them."