31

LOVE AND WAR
— 31. Queen of England 

     Hours later, after seeing Edward leave the castle on horseback with a defeated look on his face, Nora walked out of her room and down the hallway

"What happened with Father?" A boy's voice suddenly spoke up, causing Nora to turn around to face Elizabeth and Arthur.

"Nothing," Nora assured them, forcing a smile on her face, "Just go back to bed. It's late."

"He said we wouldn't see him for quite a while, clearly something has happened," Elizabeth argued, earning an annoyed look, "I want to go with him. I want to see Father!"

Nora remained silent, trying not to snap at Elizabeth. She always did favor her father over her own mother. Nora wanted nothing more than to mention the fact that the father she worshipped so much was planning to marry her off to the enemy, but she wasn't that cruel.

"You can't. There's a war coming. I know it. Lord Warwick will betray your father again in the coming months and I refuse to let you be in London when it happens," Nora explained in a stern tone, making her way over to her two firstborns.

She placed her hands on their shoulders, pressing a kiss to both of their foreheads. "Now, get to bed. It's late."

"Father didn't mention Henry and Jasper Tudor living here with us. He doesn't know, does he?" Arthur suddenly asked, earning a scolding look from his mother. He sighed and reluctantly nodded. "Sorry, Lady Mother. Good night."

"Good night," Nora smiled at them softly, watching as they returned to their beds.

Taking a deep breath, Nora turned on her heels, walking to another part of the castle with a lit candle. She knocked on a door before opening it.

Jasper Tudor had been sitting at his desk and immediately stood up once Nora entered.

"I saw Edward leave the castle quite angrily, what has happened?" Jasper asked anxiously and Nora sighed, shaking her head.

"Nothing. It seems my children and I will remain here at Pembroke castle with you and Henry longer than I expected," She informed Jasper, an uneasy look on her face, "He doesn't know I'm letting a traitor to his reign remain here and it shall remain that way. No one can know."

"I know," Jasper admitted as he nodded in agreement.

____

     Months passed and Nora never heard any word from London. She knew it meant all was well with Edward's reign. She knew better than to think it would last, though. It never did. There hadn't been peace for longer than six months since Edward married Elizabeth.

She regretted what she said to Edward, not about the marriage of their daughter or the fact that he had stolen lands, but of what she said about stealing his throne.