6

LOVE AND WAR
— 6. Father

 Father

Riding toward the battle camps, Nora turned her head, exchanging a look with Edward, who was on the horse next to hers.

He smiled slightly, just before looking away. She smiled back, only to turn her head to see that Lord Warwick was staring at them. She sighed, her smile immediately fading.

He practically glared at her, which Nora was quick to notice. Once entering the camp, Nora climbed off her horse and headed in the direction of the small tent she was assigned to.

Just as Edward planned, her tent was right next to his. She unpacked her tools and herbs that were the most important for tending to the wounded.

A day had passed before the battle began. Nora continued on with her previous work, tending to the wounded from both sides. Lancastrian and Yorkists alike.

Days upon days passed and the battle continued on, as did the location of their battle camps. Wherever they traveled to, Nora was brought along with them, upon the orders of Edward himself.

     It was morning time. Edward was in the tent where the battle plans occurred with his most trusted advisors. As the men left, Nora entered. Her face had dried blood smeared on it and the dress she wore when tending the wounded were covered in dirt and blood as well.

She used the rag she was holding to wipe the blood off her hands, but it was obvious it didn't help all that much.

"Your Grace?" Nora called out, causing Edward and Lord Warwick, the last person in the tent with the York king, to turn to her, "A moment of your time?"

Warwick turned to look back at Edward, sending him a frustrated look. Edward ended up gesturing toward the exit, earning a glare from Lord Warwick as he obeyed his king's orders.

Lord Warwick sent Nora a glare, just before he finally left.

Once he was gone, Nora moved closer to Edward, an anxious look on her face.

Edward quickly folded up the map in front of him that contained the battle plans, knowing it wasn't wise for her to see, even if she was on his side.

Nora anxiously glanced around, just before finally deciding to speak up. "I've been treating your wounded men—"

"And my enemies," Edward interrupted, earning an odd look from Nora.

That never bothered him before, why does it now?

"Which is something Lord Warwick and the rest of my advisors are fond of mentioning to me," Edward continued on, earning a small sigh in defeat from Nora, "If you want to prove to my men that you're loyal to the Yorks, tending to wounded Lancastrian soldiers is the last thing you'd want to do."