8

LOVE AND WAR
— 8. Love 

   Nearly a month had passed and Edward had won every battle he had fought in

   Nearly a month had passed and Edward had won every battle he had fought in. The Lancastrians fled from their positions, allowing the Yorkist army to return home. That included Edward and Nora, who were able to return to London.

Upon returning to the royal castle, Nora climbed off her horse and headed toward the small fountain. She extended her hands out, allowing the flowing water to spill onto her hands. She lifted her hands, rubbing them along the back of her neck and her chest to cool herself down after the long ride in the sun.

Edward smiled mischievously, walking over to join her. Standing next to her, Edward playfully bumped her with his shoulder. She was forced to move to the side, Edward taking her place in front of the fountain. "Pardon me, my lady," He taunted her, causing Nora to turn to him with a look of mock disbelief.

"Edward," Nora scolded him with a smile on her face, causing Edward to smile as well.

"What?" Edward asked without a care in the world as he splashed her, "It was a long trip. I must freshen up."

Nora scoffed, flinching as Edward splashed her with the cold water. She ended up splashing him back. In retaliation, Edward splashed her once more, only to have the vast amount of water soak the majority of the front of her dress.

Edward gasped, thinking she'd be angry, but instead, she splashed him just as much. They both laughed, continuing to splash each other with water as if they were children until they were both practically drenched in water.

"And here I thought we had a bit of connection. Now, you've attacked me with water," Edward playfully complained, earning an eye roll from Nora.

"You started it," Nora retorted with a smile on her face.

"I did, and now I've finally realized there's a playful side to you as well," Edward admitted, a soft smile on her face, "One that's not afraid of getting a bit dirty."

"I am a nurse. I think that was quite obvious by now, Edward," Nora reminded Edward, who laughed in response.

He took a step toward her, about to speak up when another person beat him to it. "Nora!" A woman practically shouted, causing both to whip themselves around to face Nora's mother, "Where have you been?"

"I-I-" Nora began to say, shaking her head slightly before she finally overcame her uneasiness, "I went off to war to tend to the wounded."

"I forbade it," Katherine stated, ignoring the glare Edward was giving her as she spoke viciously to her daughter, "Do you have an empty head? Are you unable to comprehend that what I tell you to do is final?"

Nora remained silent, looking down at the ground in shame. Edward watched closely as Katherine walked over to Nora, roughly grabbing her by the arm.