12

LOVE AND WAR
— 12. The Truth

 The Truth

     Nearly two months had passed and all seemed to be well with Edward and Nora. Nothing seemed to be stopping them from having a happy, yet hidden, life together.

Edward was relieved that despite it being January now, Warwick never once mentioned the fact that Nora was due to marry Arthur. It hadn't even been brought up in the slightest.

Just like any other normal day, Nora sat with the ladies of the court, gossiping and speaking of women's issues, not of their husband's. It was frowned upon for them to speak of politics and what was occurring in the war. That was a topic only men spoke of.

Unless they were Nora. No, Nora was told everything about the war by Edward himself. They shared a bed almost every night and when they did, they spend half the night laying together. Nora's head would be rested on his unclothed chest, Edward's fingers running through her blonde hair as he ranted to her of what he was dealing with regarding the war.

He spoke to her of matters he practically told no one about. He trusted her above anyone, perhaps even Lord Warwick at times. He knew he could trust her to keep whatever he told to herself.

The issue regarding Nora being the rightful heir to the throne was talked about less at court. Many people still wished it to be her sitting on the throne, but no one would dare admit it out loud while in London.

It didn't mean people like Margaret Beaufort and Jasper Tudor still didn't wish it to happen, having the feeling that Nora wouldn't marry anyone if it weren't Edward, which was a union that could never happen. It meant she'd never have children that would be heirs.

And they knew the first person she'd choose to be the Lancastrian heir would be Margaret's own son, Henry Tudor. There was no denying that, despite Nora never admitting it out loud.

Nora acted as though she was listening to the ladies speak of their love lives with their husbands, but in truth, her mind wandered off to what she was looking at through a nearby window.

It was Edward, standing with Lord Warwick. It looked as though they were arguing about something. It concerned her. However, before she could attempt to stand up to catch Edward when he stormed off in a fit of rage, as he usually did, someone called out her name.

"Lady Nora," A woman called out, causing Nora to turn her head to see Cecily Neville, Edward's mother, standing before, "Come. May I speak with you alone?"

"Of course," Nora replied, wasting no time standing up with a bright smile on her face.

Duchess Cecily had grown to favor her as of late for a reason no one seemed to understand. Some even presumed she hoped for the girl to marry Edward and it was the honest truth. She viewed it to be the union of roses, a marriage that would end the horrific war that cost her her husband and her son.