27

LOVE AND WAR
— 27. Henry

       After saying goodbye to her children, Nora traveled to Bedford Castle, rallying about a half dozen men to escort her to Wales

       After saying goodbye to her children, Nora traveled to Bedford Castle, rallying about a half dozen men to escort her to Wales. She knew she'd be a fool if she, as a woman, traveled alone. She also brought men she could trust enough to keep the location of Jasper and Henry to themselves. They would be put at risk, especially if Edward found out about their whereabouts.

Days later, Nora arrived in the woods near the castle Jasper and Henry were residing at. Jasper rode up to her, immediately recognizing her, despite the fact that she was wearing a hooded red cloak that covered her face.

Jasper rode forward until his horse was directly in front of Nora's. "Your Grace," He greeted her, bowing his head.

Nora anxiously glanced at the six riders on their horses beside hers. They stared at her closely, as if they were wondering how she'd react around Jasper.

She sighed, turning to look back at Jasper. "My Lord," She greeted him with formalities, which caused an amused smile to find its way onto Jasper's lips.

"Are you well?" Jasper awkwardly asked, clearly just trying to make small talk.

"I'm in fine health, actually," Nora responded with a smile on her face, her large cloak hiding her pregnant belly, "Shall we ride in?"

Jasper nodded, wasting no time turning on his horse. He rode toward the castle and before following after him, Nora ordered her men to stay put.

Later on, Nora walked into the small castle as Jasper brought Henry forward.

Nora smiled softly, looking down at the boy, who seemed extremely shy. She smiled, seeing that he was the opposite of her own son. While Arthur was loud and outgoing, so willing to meet new people, Henry was shy and timid, cautious around people he did not know. He had reason to be, though. There wasn't a single Lancaster in England who was treated as well as Nora, but that was only because she was in the King's favor.

Not to mention, everyone was nice to her because they knew good things came out of being friends to a woman who had the potential of becoming queen if she truly put her mind to it.

"You must be Henry," Nora spoke up softly, walking forward with a kind smile on her face.

Henry looked extremly nervous as he stared up at her. He turned to Jasper, who gave him a look. Henry sighed, slowly looking back at Nora.

After a moment, he finally bowed to the Duchess of Bedford and his cousin. "Your Grace," He greeted her in a whisper.

Nora smiled and knelt in front of him. "Please, call me Nora," She told him, her smile becoming larger, "If we're being technical, you could say that, in a way, you and I are cousins through your mother by blood and by marriage through your father."