37

LOVE AND WAR
— 37. Mindless Pleasure 

    It was morning time

    It was morning time. Nora sat with Edward at a table in her room, both of them eating breakfast together.

   It seemed as though ever since she killed her uncle Henry, Edward had been at her side constantly. It was like he didn't want to let her out of his sight.

"What are you planning to do about Anne Neville?" Nora spoke up in a curious tone, picking up a grape to eat.

"I haven't made up my mind yet," Edward admitted as he shrugged his shoulders, "Elizabeth believes I should send her to a nunnery, in case she is still against us."

"She is sixteen," Nora pointed out calmly, giving Edward a weird look, "She is a little girl. She was simply doing what her father told her to. You shouldn't blame her for that."

"I said Elizabeth thought that. I never said I did," Edward reminded her, beginning to eat a strawberry, "I was going to spare her anyway. George offered to be her guardian."

Nora chuckled at the revelation, finding it amusing that George, of all people, was going to be her guardian. He was clearly doing it to get ahold of the Warwick fortune.

"It's settled, then. You're going to pardon Anne," She realized and Edward nodded in response.

She smiled, relieved by the news. She honestly felt bad for Anne Neville. She had been treated like most women in Europe, like pawns.

   Later on that day, Nora stood to the right of Edward's throne alongside Richard and George as Anne Neville walked up to her king and queen.

She slowly curtsied, clearly feeling uneasy. She remained close to the ground until Edward finally gestured for her to stand.

"Your Grace," Anne greeted Edward, trying to contain how fearful she was at that moment, "I beg for your pardon. It was not my will to betray you. My father ordered my marriage to the son of Margaret of Anjou and she commanded I go with them. I had no choice but to obey."

Nora turned her head, noticing the way Elizabeth exhaled deeply as she glared at Anne.

There was a long moment of silence before Edward finally stood up from his throne. He walked down the steps until he was standing right in front of Anne.

"You know that Margaret of Anjou is defeated and will never ride out against me again?" Edward questioned Anne in a calm tone as the young girl slowly nodded her head, "And her cause had no merit?"

"I know that now," Anne whispered softly as she nodded.

Edward began to smile, satisfied with her answer. "Well, that is good for me. I forgive you and I pardon you," He explained and Nora turned, seeing how Elizabeth was shocked by the fact that Edward had done the exact opposite of what she advised him to do, "And you are welcome here at court and you may live here with your sister."