48

LOVE AND WAR
— 48. Cursed

   Once arriving in London, Nora rode her horse straight toward the Tower, disregarding the guards calling out to her, telling her it wasn't safe to travel through London alone

It was pouring outside and Nora knew the weather condition all too well. It had to have been caused by Elizabeth herself.

She stopped in front of the Tower, climbing off her horse before she sprinted into the Tower. She bolted down the steps, racing to her son's rooms. She had a bad feeling. She had since she watched her sons and Richard ride off to battle. Something wasn't right.

Nora practically lunged for the door to her sons' rooms. "George? Edmund? George!" She shouted, peeking through the opening in the door to find them not inside.

She turned to one of the guards, a worried look on her face. "Guard! Open the door. Open it now!" She practically screamed, tears beginning to form in her eyes.

The guard's hands trembled as he unlocked the door but before he could apologize, Nora had shoved him out of the way and entered the room.

She glanced around, finding the room to be empty. It was clean and the bed was made as well, which she found odd. Her two youngest sons were always messy. They never cleaned up their messes and they most definitely didn't make their beds.

Last time she was there, toys were all over the floor and the bed hadn't been made. Hell, half of the sheets hadn't even been on the bed properly.

Nora yanked off the blankets and the sheets off the bed, finding the sheets to be cleaned.

She knew her sons. After spending so many weeks in that room with a maid rarely even coming to clean, the sheets should have had at least one stain on it, or even the slightest bit of dirt. But there was nothing.

It was too clean. The room was too clean.

Nora began to heave for breath, having difficulty breathing as she fearfully glanced around. She cried out, throwing a glass that had been on the nightstand at the wall. It shattered upon impact but Nora still didn't feel better.

She turned to the guard, a distraught look on her face. "Unlock the door to Edward and Richard's room," She demanded, yet the guard remained in place, "Now!"

Fearfully, the man rushed down the steps and headed straight for the door to Elizabeth's sons' room. He opened the door and Nora entered, becoming even more worried when she saw their room was empty and spotless as well.

As each moment passed, it became more and more difficult to breathe.

Where were her sons? Where were Elizabeth's?

Not in her right mind, Nora began to search the entire Tower. It was as if she expected the boys would miraculously appear.

_____