18

LOVE AND WAR
— 18. Conniving

       It wasn't long after Edward had left on his horse that Arthur had arrived

       It wasn't long after Edward had left on his horse that Arthur had arrived. All seemed to be well. Arthur looked actually happy when he saw his 'son'.

        That night, Nora stood in her room, preparing to sleep when Arthur entered. She turned to him, her eyes widening in shock. He never came to see her, unless he was drunk and hoped to bed her.

"Arthur!" She exclaimed, looking surprised, "I didn't expect to see you."

"Why's that?" Arthur questioned slowly making his way toward Nora, who cautiously backed up when she realized he was, indeed, drunk, "I am your husband, after all."

     Nora was unable to back up anymore as her back collided with the wall. She looked uneasy, unable to do anything as Arthur stopped when he was standing in front of her.

   She could smell his breath. It reeked of wine. She stood in place, doing nothing as he began to kiss her roughly, his hands roaming around every inch of her body.

"Arthur, you must stop," She pleaded in a stern tone as he attempted to open up her small clothes, "I do not wish to lay with you on this night."

"You are my wife. I shall have you whenever I please," Arthur argued, much to Nora's dismay.

As she attempted to move away, Arthur had roughly grabbed her by the shoulders, pushing her onto a table. He ripped open her small clothes, causing her to yelp as his rough, calloused hands found its way between her thighs.

"Arthur, please no," She pleaded, attempting to push him off, yet she failed, "Arthur, stop it!"

     Without thinking out the consequences, Nora had struck him across the face, causing Arthur to stumble back.

   Her eyes widened in fear, not having the slightest clue what was going to happen.

"Husband, I apologize..." She trailed off uneasily, only to cry out in pain as he backhanded her across the face.

   "Get on the bed," Arthur demanded in a low, threatening tone, "Don't make this harder than it has to be. There's a chance I must go off to battle again soon. I wish to have another heir by the time I return."

"I will not--" She began to argue, only to get cut off as he roughly grabbed her by the neck.

She winced as Arthur tightened his grip, forcing her to look him in eye. "Get...on... the...bed," He demanded in a stern tone and with a defeated look on her face, Nora nodded.

   Instead of obeying him, however, Nora turned to see a nearby candlestick. She walked forward, acting as though she was moving toward the bed.

Instead, she grabbed onto the candlestick, whipping herself around. As hard as she could, she struck Arthur in the head with it, causing him to fall to the ground, unconscious.