49

LOVE AND WAR
49. Mourning

     It didn't take long for Buckingham to be brought to her

     It didn't take long for Buckingham to be brought to her. Nora stood in the courtyard, watching as he was brought out.

She wore black once more and she made a vow to herself to remain wearing all black for the next three years, a year for each of her children.

Buckingham struggled against the men who dragged him toward the chopping. They forced him into a kneeling and for a brief moment, he locked eyes with Nora, who wore an emotionless expression. It terrified him, to say the least, despite being just seconds away from being executed.

He feared for the lives of anyone who would wrong Nora in the near future. There was no way she was the same after losing three of her children and Edward, especially her son George.

Her little George.

Nora didn't know it herself but anyone with eyes and spent enough time around Nora when she was around her younger children could see it.

Nora had a close bond with her precious little George, one she didn't even have with her pet, Arthur. She spoiled him and treated him like Duchess Cecily used to treat her George. It just wasn't as obvious.

He supposed that was because Nora had given birth to him in secret and nearly bled out when she did so. It had been his cry that woke her from her nearly permanent slumber, not that she'd admit that to someone. For the first few months of his life she had taken care of alone with no help in the slightest.

George wasn't the youngest but he was her little baby boy.

Buckingham wondered if the men had gotten ahold of him in time and killed him.

If they didn't, he knew his side would surely not win. And if they did, they wouldn't remain in power for long.

Buckingham trembled as he lowered his head, the ax man wasting no time chopping his head off. Nora watched with no emotion. She looked almost satisfied. She was on the verge of walking away when she suddenly froze.

As the guards were on the verge of dragging  Buckingham's body away, Nora noticed the blood seeping through the man's shirt.

"Stop," She demanded, causing the guards to stop where they were while Richard gave Nora a puzzled look.

Nora walked forward and over to Buckingham's body. She bent down and without a care in the world, she had ripped his shirt open.

She frowned in concern, noticing the slash across his chest that was inflicted by a blade. It was far too old to be caused during his capture, as if it had been done before then.

She thought back to the dagger she had given to George, the one she told him to use if he needed to protect himself.

"What is it, Nora?" Richard asked in concern and Nora slowly turned to him.