42

LOVE AND WAR
— 42. Sworn to Secrecy

 Sworn to Secrecy

Two more years had passed since then and it was now the year 1480. It just a few months before Arthur's eighteenth birthday. Lizbeth was sixteen. Thomas was fifteen. Grace was thirteen. George was nine. And their youngest, Katherine and Edmund, were four.

Thomas, Arthur, and Lizbeth stood in the courtyard of Bedford Castle beside George. Lizbeth and Arthur were teaching him how to properly use a bow since his lessons with Thomas clearly didn't pay off in the slightest.

It was obvious to Nora and Edward now how each of their children was. Arthur was obedient and responsible. Lizbeth was defiant and the type to do things a lady like herself should not. Thomas was mischievous and troublesome. Grace was naive and polite, a proper lady and the opposite of her elder sister. George was determined and kind, a lot like his eldest brother. Little Katherine was bratty and prideful. Edmund was quiet and shyer than his siblings. Despite being only four, it was still clear who was more headstrong out of the twin siblings.

Lizbeth was closest to both Thomas and Arthur, closer to them than Grace, who would much rather spend time alone. However, out of all his siblings, Arthur was probably closest to George. He was protective of him and taught him to be nothing like Lizbeth and Thomas, the most troublesome of their siblings.

When it came to their parents, it seemed as though Lizbeth was the only one who favored their father. In fact, she was clearly their father's favorite, despite Edward never admitting it.

Unlike Edward, Nora didn't have favorites. She loved them all equally, but if it came to who she spent the most time with, it was Arthur. But it wasn't because he was her firstborn or her favorite. It was due to the fact that Arthur was the only one who always obeyed her and did what he was told without question.

Lizbeth and Thomas enjoyed making remarks about it, claiming that Arthur was their mother's little lap dog.

The group of three watched as George missed for a second time, causing Thomas and Lizbeth to laugh while George to look down in shame.

Arthur rolled his eyes at them, stepping forward as he placed his hands on his youngest brother's shoulders. "You're thinking too much about it. Just lock your eyes on where you want it to go. Your arms will do the rest."

George nodded, taking a deep breath before he released the arrow. He ended up making the bullseye, causing Arthur to turn to Lizbeth and Thomas. He tilted his head, giving them a daring look.

"Look at that. He made it in less than five times," Arthur remarked, looking directly at Thomas, "How many times did it take you before you finally even touched the target, let alone get the bullseye, Thomas?"

Thomas rolled his eyes, avoiding eye contact with Lizbeth, who began to laugh.

"I want to go riding," George suddenly decided, rolling his eyes at his elder brothers and sister.