32

LOVE AND WAR
— 32. Golden

     It didn't take long after for Richard Welles to run to the Yorkist camp as fast as he could

It didn't take long after for Richard Welles to run to the Yorkist camp as fast as he could. Immediately after arriving, two guards were quick to unsheathe their swords. "In the King's name, stop!" They shouted, pointing their sword and spears at him.

"I need to see the king," He insisted in a desperate tone and two other guards were quick to grab ahold of him, "Please!"

Hearing the boy's pleas, it didn't take long for Edward to walk out of his tent to see what was going on.

He made his way over, an emotionless look on his face as he grasped his sword in his hand.

"Edward! There was a plot to kill you! It is Warwick and the Duke of Clarence! They mean to turn on you in the battles," Welles was quick to explain, noticing how Edward still approached him in a threatening manner, "Please! Edward—"

  Before the boy could react, Edward ran his sword through the boy's stomach and he glared down at him hatefully. "Traitor," He growled at him lowly.

Slowly, Edward pulled his sword out of Welles, allowing him to drop to knees, dying. As he began to choke up blood, Edward wasted no time kicking him backward without a care in the world.

Hearing a loud gasp, Edward turned his head in shock since he recognized the voice. Edward's eyes widened, taking in the sight of Nora standing just a few feet away from him, being held by two guards loyal to him. He glanced down at the red dress she wore, not taking it as a sign of betrayal since he knew she always did it just to prove a point to the Yorkists who dared to speak ill of her.

Edward immediately dropped his sword, as if he felt ashamed that she had witnessed him kill a mere boy.

She didn't seem bothered by that, though. She looked down at the boy's body, looking disappointed. "You fool," was all she said, which caused Edward's entire mood to change.

He first thought her to be there to see him, to reunite, but at that moment, he began to think she was there for something else. But what was it?

"What have you done?" Nora continued on as Edward walked toward her.

Without saying a word, Edward had grabbed her arm a little too roughly, leading her all the way to his tent.

   Once they arrived, she roughly pushed him off of her. "You stupid fool!" She shouted in frustration, much to Edward's aggravation.

"Stop calling me that!" He yelled back at her, no longer happy to see her since he first saw her just moments before, all she had done was call him an idiot.

  "You have done what you should not, Edward! I tricked that boy into coming here, to ask for mercy and to make sure that side lost. I knew you would not listen to the truth if it came from me. You'd believe I made it up because of my vendetta against Warwick but it is the absolute truth," She explained to him, causing Edward to frown in concern, "But now, it's all been for nothing. In a way, they have won."