16

LOVE AND WAR
— 16. Firstborn

    It wasn't long before Arthur left for battle, along with the majority of the men living in the castle

It wasn't long before Arthur left for battle, along with the majority of the men living in the castle. She was left with mostly maids and her trusted handmaiden, Alice, whom she recently learned was a lady of House York.

Three months passed and still, Arthur and the rest of the men hadn't returned from battle. Nora was grateful for that, especially when she went into labor.

In her room, Nora laid in bed, screaming out in agony as she gave birth to her child. One of the midwives knelt between her legs, constantly telling Nora she had to push.

Alice stood at Nora's bedside, applying a warm cloth to the woman's forehead.

"I will die on this bed," Nora cried out, a fearful look on her face, the pain feeling unbearable to her since it was her first time giving birth.

"Listen to me," Alice demanded, a stern look on her face, "You will not die. You will survive. You are strong. And your son will be too."

"Do not let my son die," Nora pleaded, shaking her head as tears streamed down her face, "Do not let him die."

"Neither of you will die, Nora," Alice sighed out, shaking her head.

"You must push, my lady," The servant spoke up and Nora immediately obeyed her.

She heaved for breath, continuing to push but there seemed to be no change.

"Harder, my lady. You need to put in more effort," The servant continued to insist, earning a frustrated look from Nora.

"Why do think I'm doing!" Nora shouted as she continued to cry out in pain, "He is tearing me from the inside out."

"Take deep breaths and push, my lady," Alice demanded, continuing to dab Nora's face with her damp towel. 

Nora closed her eyes, heaving for breath as she began to think about how alone she was. If she were to die in childbirth, it would be a relief to everyone. She would no longer be a threat to Edward's claim to the throne. Arthur would be grateful for her departure. Her mother and father wouldn't be able to mourn her because they were dead.

Would Edward miss her or even think of her?

"He's here, my lady! I can see his head!" The servant exclaimed happily, "Push, my lady, push!"

Nora weakly nodded, obeying the woman's order. She cried out loudly, wasting no time pushing harder than she had ever done before.

Soon enough, her son had been born and Nora only realized when she heard him cry out.

She finally laid back, feeling exhausted after enduring childbirth. She let out a breath of relief, glad that the pain was over. She looked straight at the midwife, who was cleaning the baby so that he was free of blood.