23

LOVE AND WAR
— 23. Sinful

    Earlier that day, in London, as Edward entered the council room, he wore a disappointed look on his face

Earlier that day, in London, as Edward entered the council room, he wore a disappointed look on his face. Each man bowed to him, but he paid no mind to them, too caught up in his own thoughts as he tried to think of the right thing to say to Warwick.

He fucked up. More than he ever had before and this time, he couldn't take it back.

"Lord Warwick?" He called out, a cautious look on his face as Warwick turned to him. He tensed up, gesturing for his cousin to follow him out of the room to speak with him in private.

Warwick sighed in frustration, but wasted no time obeying his king. The men in the room turned to one another, talking amongst themselves.

The Woodvilles, who were also at the meeting became confused by the duo's sudden departure.

Anthony Woodville, the oldest son of Jaquetta Woodville and her husband, Baron Rivers, turned to his father with an uneasy look.

"Father, I think the king may announce that he's married to Elizabeth," He whispered to his father, who looked confused by the revelation.

"Elizabeth who?" Baron Rivers asked, clueless to the fact that his son was talking about Elizabeth, his own daughter.

"Our Elizabeth," He responded, causing his father's eyes to widen in shock.

"Are you out of your mind?" One of his brothers complained, staring at him as if he were crazy.

Anthony sighed, glancing between his father and his brothers anxiously before continuing on. "Although, he is rumored to have married another before her. Nora of Lancaster," He paused, their eyes widening in shock, "The son she bore was said to be the King's, and her daughter, so he might equally announce his marriage to her instead of his with Elizabeth."

"Dear God," Baron Rivers muttered under his breath, realizing just how crazy matters were going to get around them.

  In the hallway, after being told the news of Edward's marriage to Elizabeth Woodville, Lord Warwick pinched the bridge of his nose with his two fingers. "I should have guessed that whore would get her hooks into you when she led you into her hovel," He paused, turning to Edward with a frustrated look, "God, Edward. This is even worse than the last one. Don't you learn by now? Another Lancastrian whore! You can't be serious."

"You may not call her that," Edward argued in a stern tone, refusing to mention Nora in the slightest, "She is the Queen."

"She is a roadside strumpet and this can easily be undone," Warwick pointed out in a calm tone, "It must be. I'm starting to think I should have just settled for Nora. At least she didn't lack the sense that you did. She made up for it and she kept you on task. And she would have benefited England and would not have tried to rule through you as this one will. How can Elizabeth benefit England, aside from warming the king's lonely bed now that his favorite toy has gone away?"