35

LOVE AND WAR
— 35. Conspiring

    After a meeting was called, Nora stood in the throne room, watching as Warwick walked up to Henry with an urgent look on his face

After a meeting was called, Nora stood in the throne room, watching as Warwick walked up to Henry with an urgent look on his face. "Your Grace," Warwick called out to his king in a hushed tone, "We'll take you somewhere quiet, where you may pray for a happy ending to our worries."

Herny glanced around blankly, having no idea what was going on. The royal court stared at him closely, waiting for him to say something.

"I must..." He trailed off, but was unable to finish his sentence.

Nora's lips curled upwards into a smirk, finding pleasure in the fact that Henry couldn't speak in full sentences for Warwick, but he could do it for Nora.

"I shall..." He tried again and Nora exchanged a look with Jasper Tudor, both of them quick to make their way over to their king.

"I'm taking the King to the Tower for his protection," Warwick announced loudly, "The sons of York have reunited and mean to take back the throne."

"My Lords," Jasper called out, causing everyone, including Nora, to turn to face him, "We heard Edward perished at sea."

"You heard wrong," Warwick replied and Nora smiled in relief, "My spies in the north claim he's landed and is about to attack."

"Thank God," Nora muttered under her breath and a man looked at her in concern. She ignored him, though, and turned her attention back to Lord Warwick.

"Go home, raise men and wait my call to arms," Warwick ordered and just as he was about to walk away with the king, both Jasper and Nora stepped in front of them.

They did it for different reasons, of course, but both led back to the fact that they refused to let Warwick rule through Henry.

"I will await Margaret of Anjou's call to arms," Jasper argued in a stern tone, causing Nora to smirk in satisfaction, despite it not being seen as something good on her part. It was simply satisfying to see someone who was able to see through Warwick's ulterior motives.

She supposed that was due to all that she told Jasper in the past about Lord Warwick, especially the part Warwick had played in her father's death.

She had learned just a few years prior that the death of her father wasn't a clean one. Warwick had stabbed through him the back. That was seen as dishonorable to most soldiers, especially ones like Jasper Tudor.

The whole court whispered amongst themselves and Nora sighed, just before she spoke up.

"Lord Tudor is right. You all shall wait for Margaret of Anjou's call," Nora forced herself to speak up, trying to hide his uneasiness, "And as my uncle's heir apparent, I shall appoint a true Lancastrian to protect my uncle and king, not a man whose loyalties are constantly shifting."