56

LOVE AND WAR
— 56. Wars to Come

 Wars to Come

Richard sat in the seat across from Arthur, an uneasy look on his face. "Involving yourself with your brother's widow, the king's mother," Arthur spoke up in an annoyed tone, "Now, I don't know if you've forgotten, but such a thing is forbidden in the eyes of God and man, Uncle Richard."

"So is bedding your own half-sister," A voice suddenly spoke up, causing Arthur to turn his head to see that Lizbeth had entered the room, "But I don't see you doing anything to stop that affair."

"Get out," Arthur complained, giving his sister an annoyed look.

"I will do no such thing," Lizbeth confidently responded, which even took Richard by surprise, "Just because you're unhappy with your life, it doesn't mean you can ruin Mother's happiness."

"I don't need you to defend me, Lizbeth," Richard assured the girl before turning his attention back toward Arthur, "Is this necessary?"

"Just tell me why," Arthur insisted, a stern look on his face, "Why involve yourself with my mom?"

Richard remained silent for a long moment, giving Arthur a pointed look. "I think you know why."

Arthur scoffed and rolled his eyes. "You love her, you really do love her," He realized, smiling slightly, "You poor fool. She'll be the end of you. I mean, look at the others who ever cared for my mother. Father is dead. Jasper Tudor is exiled. And Uncle George was drowned in Malmsey Wine. What makes you think you won't end up like the lot of them?"

Richard began to glare at his Godchild as he stood up. He turned, exchanging a look with Lizbeth before leaving the room.

He walked out into the courtyard to find Nora laughing as she chased Maggie, Katherine, and Teddy around the courtyard alongside Thomas.

Nora smiled widely as she grabbed ahold of Katherine. She lifted her into the air and spun her, causing Katherine to laugh loudly at her mother's actions.

As she placed her daughter back down on the ground, she turned her head and found herself locking eyes on Richard. She smiled at him, turning to say something to Thomas. Thomas turned to glance at Richard before he continued to play with his little sister and their cousins while Nora made her way over to Richard.

"To what do I owe this unexpected pleasure, my lord?" Nora jokingly asked as she stopped in front of him, a smile on her face.

"I must ask you something," He informed her and Nora's smile gradually faded, a part of her feeling concerned.

"Ask away," She encouraged him, feeling uneasy about the whole ordeal.

"Do you regret the time we've spent together in secret?" Richard suddenly asked, causing Nora to give him a puzzled look.