40

LOVE AND WAR
— 40. Naivety

  Just months after the arrival of Edward, Nora, and the rest of the York army, Elizabeth had convinced Edward to marry her eldest son, Thomas Grey, to Cecily Bonville, one of the wealthiest women in England

   Nora found such a union absurd, but she kept her mouth shut about it for once. She sat beside Richard and George with Anne, Isabel, and Duchess Cecily across from her. Arthur and Lizbeth sat with them as well, seeing as though Arthur was now thirteen and Lizbeth was eleven.

Cecily was laughing about the whole ordeal, finding the marriage to be absurd. "What a surprise. The Queen has betrothed her common-born son Thomas to one of the richest girls in England."

George quietly laughed. "She probably used enchantment," He muttered under his breath, causing Nora to playfully roll her eyes while Richard  looked genuinely annoyed.

"Shut up, George," Richard snapped at his elder brother, clearly frustrated.

"The marriage isn't even real, whatever comes out of that bed is only bastards," Cecily continued on with speaking ill of the queen and her son.

"Mother, don't such things in front of the children," Richard scolded his mother, gesturing toward Arthur and Lizbeth.

"What? It's true," Cecily complained to her son as she looked directly at the two children, "The marriage between those two isn't real or valid in the slightest. Just like his mother's with the king."

Nora smiled slightly, exchanging a look with George and Cecily.

"Of course, it's real!" Anne complained as she turned to face her mother in law, "They are married in the eyes of God and that's what counts," She paused, letting out a small sigh as she looked downwards, "It's just...I wouldn't want anyone saying such a terrible thing about me."

Nora narrowed her eyes at Anne, wondering why the girl sounded as though she was offended.

"Lords and Ladies of the court!" Lord Stanley announced loudly as he stood up from his seat and raised his cup, "A toast to our newly betroths, and King Edward and Queen Elizabeth of England!"

Everyone, including Lizbeth and Arthur, stood up from their seats as they raised their glasses. All but George, who remained seated.

The room fell silent as everyone turned to look at George. After a moment, George rose from his seat and looked directly toward Edward, who was giving him a questioning look. Without a care in the world, George knocked over his wine glass before storming out of the room.

Arthur and Lizbeth turned to each other, quietly gasping after seeing what had happened.

Nora turned her head, exchanging a look with Edward, who was clearly furious about what his brother had done. However, he made no attempt to stop him as he stormed off.