22

LOVE AND WAR
— 22. Heart of a Soldier

       Three months passed and it was now March

Three months passed and it was now March. Matters worsened for Nora at Bedford Castle and she wondered if she'd even be able to survive long enough to give birth to her unborn child. She was beaten constantly by Arthur. He had even threatened to kill her when he learned she was pregnant. He doubted it was his child and Nora knew he was right. It wasn't. He declared that if the child was born bearing any features of Edward, he would kill her and the child. Nora knew he wasn't bluffing, too.

Choking back a sob, Nora rushed into her room, her face beaten and bloodied. She locked the door. She heard her husband yell at a distance, telling her she better be on time for dinner.

She ignored him, rushing over to a certain rug of the room. She lifted it up, bending down to lift up a tile to find her herbs to still be hidden there. She picked up two certain vials, shaking them in her hand.

She stood up, walking over to her desk. She placed them down, looking in the mirror to see her face more bruised and bloodied than it had ever been before. She used the short amount of time she had left to clean her face before she grabbed the bottle of wine imported from Burgundy she had stored in her room.

With that, she traveled to the kitchen, carrying both her vials of poison and the bottle of wine.

Not long after, Nora entered the dining room, a smile on her face as she walked over to her husband, carrying the two glasses of poisoned wine. Arthur looked up at her, a skeptical look on her face. Despite her face being badly beaten and bruised, she smiled, which concerned him. She was up to something, he knew that much.

"It's wine from Burgundy, my love, would you like to try some?" She asked, a large smile on her face.

Arthur stood up and turned to face her, a suspicious look on his face. He slowly nodded, watching as Nora picked up a certain one to give him. He eyed closely before narrowing his eyes at Nora. "Switch them," He demanded in a stern tone, causing her to give him a puzzled look.

"What?" She asked, frowning at him.

"I said, switch them," He ordered through his clenched jaw, gesturing to the one she was about to drink, "Give me that one."

Nora immediately obeyed, her smile fading. He snatched the glass from his hand, handing her the one he held. He watched her closely, noticing how she didn't try to drink hers. "Drink it. Take a sip," He insisted and Nora looked hesitant, "I said, drink. Don't make me say it again."

From what he could tell, Nora looked uneasy as she took a large sip of the wine. She continued to force herself to drink it until there was none left. He studied her actions closely and watched as she placed the empty glass down on the table. She seemed to not have any symptoms from it. Like it wasn't poisoned.